seeding with fescue

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ant, Sep 17, 2000.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

last yr. i seeded with rye and i did not hold up to the heat.

this yr. i am trying lesco's transition blend.

most lawns are aerated then seeded with a spreader.

some very bare lawns are going to be seeded and thatched
    in.

i have rye that i picked up last mo. can i sneek some in the fescue,and if so how much?
    anthony

2. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

Anthony- you can mix rye as long as you dont go above 20%. Reason being the rye will establish faster than the fescue and crowd it out. Whats the area like? What type of fes. are you using?

3. ant

LESCO TRANSSITION AT $1.29 /LB 100% T.F.

4. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

Anthony- Wanted to know if hard or chewings was going to be used. Stay around 20%.

5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I used Lesco transition blend last year and had good results with it. I'll be using it again this year.

6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Where are you buying it at? I pay $0.93 a pound at Lesco.

7. ant

BOB : WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT ADDING RYE TO IT (I NEED TO GET RID OF SOME DUBBLE EAGLE)

KERBY: THATS THE PRICE BRACKET I AM IN AT LESCO :confused:(I DO ABOUT $8500 YR AT LESCO)

OCUTTER: ALL TALL FESCUE

ANTHONY

8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

anthony--I have transition blend in my yard and it wont take the heat or any drought! it's beautiful untill we get the successive 90+ degree heat of summer, then it's brownsville!

I went to lesco and complained and they told me to take a number! (not really but they agreed that it was a common complaint and a problem).

I don't irrigate my yard but in stress times, water doesn't seem to help.

good luck with your selection.

GEO

9. jrblawncare

jrblawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Geo,did Lesco offer you any other ideas on what might be better to use?I myself was going to pick up Transition blend this week in Lexington.When I go,I will talk with them about this.JOHN

10. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Geo, the lawns I have that received no irrigation did brown during the heat, but, as soon as we got a good rain, most all of it turned back to a nice color green. I sprayed it with Iron and it look wonderful. I thought it rebounded very well considering the hot/dry spring and summer we had.

Is your lawn still dry and have you had a good rain?