seeding with K31

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by teejet, Aug 26, 2009.

1. teejet

teejet LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

does anyone still use K31 at all? I am new to seeding and I am going to by mostly millennium fescue. I am debating buying some k31 because it is cheap, also I have some lawns that already have it in them,and I thought it would blend better. I have read it sucks anyone is this true?

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Very true--K-31 sucks. It has a very wide blade and poor agronomic properties. It was popular in the 1950's. Go with a top TTTF cultivar, like "Aztec".

3. grass4gas

grass4gas LawnSite Senior Member

I am probably in the minority here, but some of the best lawns that I have seen through the years are k-31 lawns. Once established, they are pretty much bullet proof.

They can and do have some issues with brown patch, but so do some of the other TTTF lawns. K-31 is also very durable and can take a good deal of abuse once established.

I use it for fenced areas that have heavy traffic such as dogs, play areas and such. Most people are turned off because of the wide blades.

Take it for what it's worth.

4. EVM

EVM LawnSite Senior Member

K-31 is tuff as nails. Any of you guys try Titan Limited TF? Very good stuff

5. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

K-31 is tuff, but looks like crap! Not many customers would be happy having a lawn of that! If for some reason you do use it, make sure it is 100%-don't overseed a KBG/Rye lawn with it, or you'll be sorry! It grows at a much different rate than other varietys, grows in clumps & sticks out like a sore thumb:cry:

6. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

The Highway Dept uses it around here for erosion control(I'm sure because it is cheap. It gows azz deep to an elephant if it misses a mowing or 2.

7. we still use it, grows well in red clay and rocks.

8. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

K31 is the only grass that grows well in my lawn, it is a little sandy. I have planted lots of TTTF but when the dry spells hit it is the first to go dormant. Meanwhile the K31 is growing green as ever. I don't see anything wrong with the looks of it as long as the yard is uniform.

9. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. IMO, it's all or nothing. Kill everything and plant it, or remove patches of it with 'gly' and renovate. It doesn't blend well with Bluegrass and TTTFs or fine fescues. On lower maintenance sunny turf it does the job well (erosion control, low maintenance, large fields, etc). But on smaller, "wetter" lawns mixed w/KBG, TTTF, shade mixes (CRF, etc) expect it to stand out like a sore thumb (a weed!). It will never be as green as a Turf-type fescue.

10. integrityman

integrityman LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't use K31 ..... When I do want to use a turf type fescue, I purchase a product from Tractor Supply called Ground Hog or Hound Dog. It seems to be an excellent mix of tall fescue and perennial ryegrass. Plus it is relatively inexpensive. It does very well in drought and wet conditions. It seems to stay green regardless of how little water it gets.