seeding yards

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jnrogers, Aug 14, 2008.

1. jnrogers

jnrogers LawnSite Member
    from East TN

Guys just curious about what type of seeders you guys use. I dont have a tractor with a 3 point hitch either and that is all I seem to find other than self propelled. I use to seed after aerating and then working the ground by hand, but have more yards now and that way is to slow. If I used a self propelled unit at say 21" I figured that would be to slow as well. Does anyone know if they make an overseeder that is pull behind a lawn mower or how do you guys without tractors do it?

2. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Broadcast spreader works for me. How do you "work it into the turf" on an existing lawn? Pull behind overseeder? I've never seed one. Are you talking about a Vicon spreader? Look into a slit seeder for better germination. Is that what your asking about?

3. LawnSolutionsCP

LawnSolutionsCP Sponsor

Home Depot Tool Rental in Knoxville, TN rents our Turf Revitalizers. They are the best in the industry. They have our 6-hp model which does 1/3 acre per hour.

Also, Mayo Garden Center in Knoxville rents our "Commercial" 9-hp machine that does 1/2 acre per hour.

Hope this helps.

David

4. jnrogers

jnrogers LawnSite Member
    from East TN

I have been having to use a spike aerator but I am sure some of the seed does not get into the ground. I have never seen a pull behind overseeder either but did not know if anyone made one. I am going to rent the turf revitilzer, this seems the most economic way to seed my yards. Thanks.

5. jnrogers

jnrogers LawnSite Member
    from East TN

Thanks David this is the route I have decided to take, until I can buy my own turf revitilizer.