Seeding

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CaR Enterprises, Aug 18, 2006.

1. CaR Enterprises

CaR Enterprises LawnSite Member

Hello everyone!

I am new to seeding and I would like to know how long it would take me to seed and put straw down on an acre of ground. I will be doing this with a push spreader. The ground has already been leveled.

Thanks!

Rick

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

All depends how wide the chute is open, how fast you walk, and how much seed you're putting down. Anywhere from 15-20 minutes to an hour or so, but it depends, I suggest charging $1 / pound for labor, then you will have to see for yourself how this works, but I charge just under a buck / pound and that tends to set well with the customers.

Actually, the way I do it is I just $2 x pound for the total, so whatever the seed costs / pound comes out of that, usually I can get half decent seed for around $1.20 / pound so then I get 0.80 / pound for spreading, for a hundred pounds that's 75 dollars labor (yes well it works out like that lol).

Oh by the way, that labor figure includes your picking it up and all that, it is the grand total, nothing extra on top.

3. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Under Topsites' method you will lose on bluegrass (2-3 lbs/1000 sft) and make a killing on fescue (6-8 lbs/1000 sqft). Bluegrass costs more per pound but you use less.

I'd figure about an hour to spread (labor) plus the retail price of the seed for seeding. Triple the retail cost of the straw for picking it up and spreading it. 55-60 bales.