seeding ??

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by CLARK LAWN, Jan 4, 2007.

1. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

current comm. customer called the other day he has some lawn damage he needs repaired and seeded from some other work that was done there. he wants it done ASAP as it is visable from the street. with the weather being so mild right now would it be okay to seed it or wold it be better to wait till spring? I am in northeast Ohio and its been in the 50's for most of the month. a company did some along the road side here end of Nov. first of Dec. and some came in some didnt. i just dont want to waste my time if it probaly wont come in.

2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Sell him some sod if he is so concerned w/ it. You should be fine doing the seen now, but some of it probably won't come up until the springtime.

3. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

This weather is a weather-breeder and it's a sure thing that the weather will turn and STAY cold for a while. What would be good for your client is to explain that the grass seed will not germinate until temps are consistent. It might get in the sprout stage and a cold snap would kill it overnight. Instead of sowing the bluegrass or fescue sow Annual Ryegrass. It will come up quickly, likes the cooler weather, more than likely will have to mow it. it is pretty and green. I'd feather it into the existing yard. Cover it with spagnum peat moss and you'll not have to straw it. Then in the spring the spagnum will only need to be disturbed enough to sow the grass. Give it a little miracle grow from the spray hose and you're in business. My advise cost is $5K. Your reward will be a friend and probably good client. Really this shouldn't cost over $20 but you client will think it is gold. Have a good year. Roy

4. grassman2001

grassman2001 LawnSite Member

If he wants results now gowith Sod. It wouldn't be bad to seed now but it won't germinate until Spring time. Here in Ohio ground temps. have to get up to about 60 degrees for germination so even though the air temp. might be kind of warm, the ground temps are still in the 40s.

5. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I would not recomend seeding this time of year, wait til early spring end of March - April and he will have nice new lawn in time for summer. I agree with everyone else on this post about sod if he has to have it now.