Seeding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Cannonturf, Mar 13, 2000.

1. Cannonturf

Cannonturf LawnSite Member

I have to bid a 31.500sq lot for seeding.The lot will have all the grading and top soil done.<br>What is the best way to price out this job?<br>Per sq or per sq plus seed?<br>Looking for input!<br>Thanks<p>

2. jeffclc

jeffclc Guest

Just be sure that you know exactly what type of prep work will be done by the contractor. I had a sod laying job for a homeowner, that had just built a new house. The builder did not want to lay the sod, so I was hired to do the job. I had met with the builder, and specified to him that the exact same preperations needed to be done on his part, just don't spread the seed. Well, it was not anyway near up to snuff, and I had to spend some time fixing their goof up.

3. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Jeff, had the same instance happen to me once. Around me, new homes, by law, are required to have a lawn put in within a set time after construction. Now a days, with the market as it is, people can't wait to get in their house and move in before it is completely finished. One instance was we were doing a foundation/walkway and also a sod lawn for this type of home. We quoted the price out as having the prep work done already, because it was suppose to be. We figured it wouldn't be great, but would be close enough so we would only have to do touch up. The problem came with this. The builder had his own contractor power raking and doing the lawns. The homeowner, not being very bright, had told the builder how we were going to do the lawn and therefore the word got out. Even though the lawn install was already paid for by the price of the home, the contractor decided since it was going to be done by us, that he would not do a very good job. NOT a very pleasant momment. We ended up working the job the same day the other guy did, and we had to tell them what to do. It was a mess. The contractor tried to just bang the job out and run with his money. Before we knew it, the homeowner was getting involved, then the builder, then even threats of lawyers. <p>Though a unique instance, it may have some merit. <p>As for pricing, guys around here charge in the 6 cent per foot for just grading, seeding and hay. Top soil costs more. Sod can vary greatly. I'v seen guys do it for like 14 cents a square foot, and then seen it up to 30 cents. It all depends, but make sure you price it for what is right for you and for the quality of work you want to do. If you want to do a slam job with little prep work, go low. If you want to have a good looking lawn, make it higher.

4. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

one more thing,<br>you should read the discussion on mulch pricing. It relates closely to this. If you really want to do a nice job and cover your costs, price the job out as a whole, not per sq. ft. Though the standard is sq ft, especially for builders work, its hard to price a job out this way. For instant, if the job has a lot of low spots, you may need to bring in a lot of soil. I would price the job out as a whole, and in the price explain what you are going to do, ie. fill all low spots, use x type seed, etc. Stay away from saying exact numbers if you can.