Seeding

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Roger Wilkerson, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Roger Wilkerson

Roger Wilkerson LawnSite Member

Hi All,

I just had some grading done as well as some topsoil put down. I know in some areas I need a slicer/seeder but can I use the same machine over top soil that has just been put down?

Thanks,

Roger

2. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

Broadcast spreader on new loam. Take your leaf rake and flip it over. Drag it over the seed so you have good seed to soil contact. Fertilize. Water. Watch it grow.

Of course you can add lime if needed at the start as well...

3. Roger Wilkerson

I have a lawn roller Bill, would that be a better choice pulled behind my tractor?

Thanks, Roger

4. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

It's ok, I just like to get a little soil over the seed. Make sure your roller is dry when you start rolling - if you have a water filled roller, the seed will stick to a wet roller.

I don't know how large a property you have, but you may want to consider having a local hydroseed company spray the lawn for you. The paper will help hold some moisture, you get good coverage and you don't have to rake or roll!

5. Roger Wilkerson

Wish I could afford it, not working right now so that isn't an option...:cry: plus I have about 70-80 lbs of seed. The property is about 3.5 acres with1.5 mowable right now. I just redid my front landscape and removed around 22 yards of fill and replaced it with topsoil. When I had the topsoild brought in I had them grade where I dumped the fill and top it off as well as level a really uneven area where I took trees out. This isn't to mention the new road that I have across my front and side yard...:laugh:

well anyway, I guess I will figure it out. Thanks for answering. Any ideas on where to get good landscape lighting at a decent price? I have my transformer and some of my lights still work (big box store) but I need to get some better cable and some more lights since I enlarged my landscape.

6. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

nightscaping.com is a good source of quality product. Stay away from the Cheapo Depots product line.

Most seed mixes are 11# per 1,000 square feet...not sure 80# will go very far for you.

Best of luck.