seeding

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by danielslawncare, Mar 6, 2008.

1. danielslawncare

danielslawncare LawnSite Member

I live near springfield, mo where the weather changes as often and extreme as someone with multiple personalities. I need to know the best time for seeding in a couple of bare spots. should i wait until im pretty sure it wont frost again, or will a little freeze not hurt it? is there a general time that would be best? i know seeding in the fall is best,but my customer wants it done in the next few weeks. Should i tell him to hold off? Any general input would be appreciated. thanks

2. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

Fescue lawn? If so, you want soil temps in the 50's. The soil temp is going to run pretty close to the average of nighttime lows. In other words, its too early right now. Couple more weeks and you should be fine. When Brandon Beck starts calling for lows in the high 40's and low 50's for a solid week -- get ready to sow your seed. All bets are off if we have an early April like we did last year. That was a hundred year anomaly, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

3. danielslawncare

thanks for the reply jeff. so you know brandon beck? you work mostly in springfield or more surrounding areas?

4. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

I don't "work" in the industry at all. I'm just obsessed with my own grass and hang out here on lawnsite because it's the only place a true turf-head can get an online fix. I live in northern Greene county, just one ridge south of the Polk county line. If you know where Noble Hill is, I'm a couple miles east of Highway 13 on CC.

5. danielslawncare

heard of it. ya, i just found this site a couple days ago and its awesome. idont have any buddies in the industry so its nice to talk to people that have something to do with it. i love learning what other people have to say. one can learn alot

6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Another thing to consider is a strategy used by farmers in our area that involves planting grass seed on frozen ground in the spring. Once the freeze thaw cycle is going the seeds are wedged into the surface and germinate as soon as conditions are right.

If you are just working with barespots a continual overseeding is best because spring is definately unpredicatable.