seeding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by trophytkr, Mar 8, 2002.

1. trophytkr

trophytkr LawnSite Member

I wasn't going to get into this my first year out but here it is. I have been asked (by a family member) to seed their new lawn. It seems that they were talked into getting a seed that you plant in the fall and comes up in the spring. But with the mild fall winter that we experienced it germinated and started to grow last fall. now their lawn is a bare expance of dirt. New home just built last year. They are located on a 10 acre pond which they own half. So I have to worry about run off. I am looking at a spike aerator that is also a 175 lb drop spreader for the job. I'm thinking that I can aerate and drop the seed down at the same time. Will this work am I barking up the wrong tree on this one? The liturature that I recieved says that it is great for seeding really need help on this one guys. Thanks again

Rick, A-Z Lawn Care

2. Commander

Commander Banned

What kind of condition is this pond in? If they are planning on doing any work to it in the future they would actually be better off doing it now. Because when they do that work later on this year or next it will ruin their lawn. Why not get them to have you do the pond work too? Install a little beach type deal or some nice tall grasses. By doing this you will be highly reducing the amount of runoff you will have to worry about. As far as the lawn area to be worked on, how big is it and have you performed a soil test yet? Those are 2 things you should know about as soon as possible. Let us know once you have done these 2 things. 1: Measure 2: Soil test.

3. trophytkr

The yard is between 2 and 2 and a half acres. Soil test I'm not sure about. One of my questions was is the combination spike aerator and seeder a good piece of equipment. Will it do what the manufaturer says it will?:)

4. trophytkr

The pond is established. The vegitation around the pond is in place. The run off I worry about is from seeding and fert. I should be ok the yard does slant toward the pond for drainage though.

5. Commander

Commander Banned

I would suggest that you get the soil test. Then make your soil modifications. There probably is some reason why all that seed didn't come up. Then aerate the lawn heavily. Drag it with something rough to get yourself a nice seed bed. I personally would just run a properly calibrated spreader over the lawn with a few bags of seed. Then put down some 1-1-1 or 1-2-1 at a rate that they will give you in your soil test. If you do not have the soil test done then apply at a rate of 1 lb of N per M. Drag again to get good soil / seed contact. Apply a 1 - 2 inch thick layer of salt hay and water in. Come back in a few weeks with another application of that 1-2-1 or 1-1-1 fertilizer, only this time at half the rate you used the first time. You should get good germination like this and not have to worry about runoff so long as there are no MASSIVE rains.

6. trophytkr

Thanks a bunch for the info commander!

7. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

I would wait a bit for the soils to warm up some, for your soil you need a fert like 6-24-24. For best results the seed needs to come in contact with the soil, loosing it with a rake helps it hold water. You don't say how big a yard it is? larger areas you would need a tractor or skid steer with a rake in order to loosen and grade out low spots and cut high areas.

8. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually, Rockland makes an excellent starting fertilizer 10-20-15. I have used this over many other products w/ great results. If you're overly concerned w/ run-off of fert/seed, why not cut a small trench and install a temporary silt fence like most builders use for home construction. This should prevent any fert/seed from reaching the pond. You could also sod a small area around the pond to try to keep run-off problems at bay.

Bob