1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Flipper, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Flipper

Flipper LawnSite Member
    from atlanta

I hate to sound ignorant. But I have alot to learn. I have read myself to death on this site, and love every minute of it.

However, after searching for this, I can't really get the exact answers for my questions.

1)So, "overseeding" , Is this spreading grass seed over and established lawn, at a higher rate than usual?

2) "reseeding" is this a lower rate than usual? "Usual" meaning a first time seeding.

3) "Hydroseeding" is this a machine that sprays the seed out with a chemical fertilizer of some kind?

Also, I've found some diverse oppinions on "thatch". Is this a condition of over crowed dead growth on top of the ground? Or is it a crowded root systems? Or both?

Thanks a bunch, really appreciate it!!!!!!
  2. jrodgers

jrodgers LawnSite Member

Over seeding is seeding an established lawn, idealy after it has been de- thached or verticle cut to allow the seed to make good soil contact but at a lower rate.
    Re-seeding is seeding an area where there is no grass and you are starting from scratch(be it a large or small area). In this situation you would use a higher rate because you have no grass to begin with at present.
    Hydro seeding is when you use a machine to apply a grass seed, fertilizer and tacking material mixture.
    Overseeding would be used on a lawn that has started to decline and has bare spots but still some good grass, re-seeding would be used to totally re-do a lawn that is shot to s__t or start one from scratch, and hydro seeding is used to cut labor and usually for large areas.
  3. jrodgers

jrodgers LawnSite Member

Oh and do a search in the Lawn Care forum for the thatch topic, there have been quite a few of them there.
  4. Cheese burger

Cheese burger LawnSite Member

With the exception of hydroseeding I have noticed that the terms in question mean different things to different landscapers. Part of it I'm certain is regional. ( I dethatch once every 3 to 5 yrs. in Ga and i'm told that my equipment would be inadequate in florida where if a lawn is not properly cared for it can require dethatching every year) Another term I see used loosely (when searching previous post) is lawn renovation. If you read something that you need clarified, post a reply asking for clarification. That would of course bring an old thread to the top and some of those threads have great information in them.

5. Flipper

Flipper LawnSite Member
    from atlanta

Thanks guys,,, I really appreciate it ! I tried to figure these out for myself, but the more I read the more confused I got.

Thanks again,,
  6. carolinamulchplus

carolinamulchplus LawnSite Member
    from WNC

There is another type not mentioned- terraseeding. It is a process of spraying on a soil mixture with seed injected into it. We have used this on top of gravel and had amazing results. Hydroseeding would have a limited lifespan on gravel! Even sod wasn't an option without bringing in some soil. But we added three inches of a quality soil with compost, injected seed, and had great germination in seven days. It's also great for lawn renovations and sites where the soil is so poor that you'd have to spend a fortune amending it.
  7. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

very good post jrodgers i learned a few things and it cleared a few things up for me. thanks a lot
  8. jkelton

jkelton LawnSite Member

Carolina Mulch Plus -
    What compost/soil mixture makeup do you guys use? This is my first season with my Rexius truck. I just tried the TerraSeeding about a week ago, but I am not sure if the compost mixture I am using is optimum for my application. Hopefully you guys can shed some pointers on how you market this service in your area. I think there is a definite market for a service like this - only if the right materials are used.

I sent some members here on Lawnsite to your attention. I hope they gave you a call.

BTW - great looking website. Looks like you are doing well. How is your season going?

9. carolinamulchplus

carolinamulchplus LawnSite Member
    from WNC

We use a mixture that is approx. 50% potting soil and 50% compost (cow manure based, with sawdust) and depending on the site will add sand and/or a little hardwood mulch (well aged) to help with holding on slopes. We keep tweaking our mixtures! March is always crazy busy! Please send me an email through the website- I would love to add you my list of EB owners and give you info about a BB all for us!