Seeding

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Tri-City Outdoors, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Tri-City Outdoors

Tri-City Outdoors LawnSite Member

Background:
    Normally we just lay sod because we do not trust the customer to tend to the grass seed correctly. Watering, no traffic etc. In this case we have been rehabilitating their landscape project by project. So we have a great relationship.

The cust. actually wants some vegetation in the turf areas this year! It's a very barren yard, dry and dusty. They have an irrigation in place now and eventually will re-sod. Probably next spring. They really do not want kill off the of Bahia and misc. vegetation that they have now unless needed.

This should be simply project in the cust. eyes. They know what they are asking for and just want some vegetation. We agree, we working on bigger projects with in the landscape. Plus we would like mow a yard with some vegetation ourselves

Question:
    We have some experience we over-seeding and have a plan of attack in place. But, just curious how the other lco's would handle this? Meathod & seed type. No Ryes or millet.

TIA

2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

hydromulch seeding :cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2:

autec-spray.jpg

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Joe

Hydro Seeding here is not like up North. If Bahia has died out there is a reason for it and All the Hydro seeding in the world won't solve the problem. I suggest soil samples, I am suspecting a high alkaline soil which kills off Bahia.

BTW slit seeding seems to do better IMHO. However there are so few Warm season varieties that can start from seed on all different soils. Right Soil and conditions and sure it works. But find those perfect conditions.

Tri-city

I also suggest posting this in the Orgasmic Forum where they will suggest Compost etc to improve the soil conditions.

4. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Joe

No need to hammerhead. We do have Hydro seeders here in Florida. Only they are used more for utility type turf instead of fine lawns. Most Bahia, Zoysia and St Augustine yards can only be started from Sod.

6. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Every year I get somebody that wants KBG seeded. All I get is the deer in the headlight look when I say did you ever wonder why you don't see KBG seed at HD?
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Patriot

Don't be so fast to knock cool season seed

Fescue is a shady tolerant grass seed and at about the same price as Rye. No it burns out in the summer heat but does a nice job in the winter where other turfs would never grow because of too much shady.

8. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

I hear ya, these are full sun yards in treeless subdivisions where the annual rye the builder threw down is long gone and irrigation is a spitter on a hose. People watch yardcrashers on DIY channel and get lofty ideas.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

Have a customer who loves their live oaks, but they shade the property to the point where they can not grow a decent turf. I seed it every year with tttfescue and the lawn looks fantastic all winter and to about June. But you know that because you have seen it yourself. I agree, cool season seed has its place in FL.

10. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

I happen to own a hydroseeder. I would agree that if the bahia died out there is a reason, However it can be fixed with hydroseeding or slit seeding just not with Bahia. Use bermuda!!!! Dont know why the rest of the southern united states uses Bermuda as the #1 turf grass while florida is in love with sa and bahia???