Seeding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hopper1124, Sep 27, 2002.

1. Hopper1124

Hopper1124 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Is it possible for seed to get to wet.? On Wednesday I just seeded a yard added topsoil, put the seed down and rolled the yard with a roller, I also then put the starter fert and strawed it. On Thursday it rained all day and Fri it will rain all day. I think rolling the seed into the new topsoil should keep the seed from being washed away, the rain is a steady rain . Should this seed job turn out OK?
    Thanks
    Hopper

2. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I dont think it can get too wet!! I think it will do just fine, if anything all that rain should have helped it(if it didnt wash it away)and it shouldnt have.as you said you running over it with a roller should have helped hold it in place the straw also helps.

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Assuming you don't have some real flash flooding over that area, you should be ok.

4. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

If you did your straw properly (about half of soil surface visible through the straw, or heavier) you should be OK for now. That will prevent seed from washing dramatically. If it does move some, it will be trapped by the straw.

But seed can get too wet! Seed actually germinates by a wetting and drying, over and over, process. As the seed gets wet, it absorbs water and swells. Then it needs to dry and get wet and swell again. Eventually the seed hull cracks from the swelling, and there is your germination. But if you keep the seed saturated (over irrigated or constant rain for a week or more), most of the seeds can rot before they germinate.