1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by dkraft, Jul 22, 2004.

1. dkraft

dkraft LawnSite Member

I am harley raking a one acre lot this week and then seeding a day or two later. If it rains after harley raking can I still seed after it dries out or will I need to harley rake again?
  2. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

SOme of your success wil depend on soil texture. Will need to evaluate crusting of the ground which will prevent good seed incorporation. Why no seed it the same day? Doesn't take that long to just spread the seed - then rfain would help incorporate it.
  3. dkraft

dkraft LawnSite Member

Jeff, I have another party doing the harley raking while I am out of town. I will return two days later to do the seeding. If it does rain in between do you think that I could just hand rake it before the seeding?
  4. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

A lot will depend on the amount of rain and the type of soil. If the rain is enough to wash the loose soil away then you might do well to rerake before seeding. A small rain that just settels the dust is no big problem. Any rainfall amount inbetween the dust setteler and the washout can probably be handled with a hand rake.
  5. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

You'll probably be ok -- raking it in after spreading the seed is a good idea anyways.
  6. fcl01

fcl01 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

I refuse to install lawns in steps. Ive had terrible luck the few times ive tried. It will rain!! HARD!! You will have to start over. And you will be kicking yourself. Just pay the other "party" to seed it too. It'll be cheaper than paying them to do the hard part again.