seedling trees irrigation

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by fishindude, Jan 29, 2008.

1. fishindude

fishindude LawnSite Member

I am not sure if this is the proper forum to ask this, but I am out of options. I use this site occaisonally for my lawn care business. I have used many ideas and suggestions from this forum. My business has come a long way thanks to the people who answers questions from regular folks like myself. Thanks for being there.
    I purchased 100 swamp chestnut oak seedlings from a local tree farm. They are not quit a year old (march). I am going to plant them in 5-gal tree planters this weekend. Over a period of time, I will tranfer them to larger planters until they are mature enough to transplant to my farm.
    If time permits, would someone please suggest a way for me to irrigate these seedling, type of pipe (poly?), drip, timer, etc.... During the summer months, they will need to be watered every day. My farm is not my home, so I am not be capable to physically water the seedlings.

Thank you.
    Eric

2. Interesting question. I'll start with some basic questions. What is your water source? If a pond do you have a pump installed? Do you have access to electricity at the tree site? Can you diagram your seedling layout and spacing? Pics are always nice. Need more info to be real helpful.

3. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Agreed, above info is needed. If you have access to everything and anything, small drip emitters would be my choice on a sub-grade poly line. City pressure/flow is plenty sufficient with a standard DVF valve and reliable timer.

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I think a good question is, how do you plan on irrigating once they are planted out and when do you plan on planting them out?

5. My guess Kiril is that these are being grown to sell later. Sort of a tree farm. My neighbor is doing something similar on his farm but he is growing loblolly pines for lumber. Turns the hobby farm into a legitimate business expense and get all sorts of ag subsidies on fuel and taxes. The ag industry is far and away this nations greatest welfare program. Getting back to the point though your question may be A BRIDGE TOO FAR and we'll be long gone when he needs this question answered.

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I was thinking maybe they were going to be used as a wind break. Chestnuts are used out here for that.

7. Maybe you are right and I'm just full of it.

8. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Depends on how the tax structure is set up. If the land is in " current use" that benefits the whole community , therefore the tax break is justifyable.
    spelling?

9. MA and TX are worlds apart in attitudes toward taxes. May not be two more different states in our mighty union. When I visited my daughter in Boston as I recalled MA is very progressive on the small organic family style farmer. We have those but in most cases it is gigantic farming. The small farms tend to be hobby style.

10. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I work out of mass but live across the state line in NH. Here in NH if you keep your land in "current use" you will get a tax break. By doing so your land has to remain unposted and is open to hunting , trapping and hiking. Most landowners want to do it for the tax break. That means about 85-90% of private property in NH is open to hunting.