Seedlings & snow

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Dec 4, 2002.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I did a late season renovation sorta against my will. How old would fescue seedlings have to be to survive snow?

2. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

they will die

3. Envy Lawn Service

No chance of survival???

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Your not as far north as the last respondant. Some of it may make it. How long ago did you seed it? How long were the seedlings up before the snow?

5. Envy Lawn Service

If I'm not mistaken, about seven weeks. I hope it withstands snow as good as it has withstood heavy frosts. I would really hate to loose it. But hey, not my fault if it does die. I never wanted to do the job that late anyways.

6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I hope that they make it but saying "But hey, not my fault if it does die. I never wanted to do the job that late anyways." Well you did do the job and it is your reputation that is on the line. Hopefully you had this stated in the contact that you would warrantee the job. Best of luck.

Gravely_Man

7. Envy Lawn Service

Yeah, I went over things in detail with them on why I didn't recommend the late planting and explained that those reasons were why the results could not be guarenteed.

They said they understood and wanted to go ahead with it anyways.

8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

they will likely survive and flourish. the snow actually protects them from more extreme temperatures.

this may not be true in all locations but in NC as well as TN this is the case.

GEO

9. Envy Lawn Service

geogunn,

That would be nice! I can remember on the farm as a kid that we used to sow fescue by hand in the snow. We would just throw it out on/in the snow. When temperatures became suitable for germination it would come up thick as thieves. But this was tall fescue for pastures.

Anyone heard of that one before?

10. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

yes, I know of it first hand. I don't do it now because the birds eat the seeds too bad.

in my area, the doves can find anythin that looks like straw mulch and they will pick the grass seed right out of it!

GEO