Seeing attorney about contracts

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Cobra93CPR, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Cobra93CPR

Cobra93CPR LawnSite Member

I'm trying to start Bobcat for hire service including grading, tree removal and snowplowing. I have a contract made up for snowplowing but not for grading and tree removal. My main concern is the ground/lawn damage. Is there away to protect myself through wording in contracts? Can this be printed on the proposal or is it best on separate contract.

Any input will help. Seeing attorney on 3/11/05
    Thank you!!
  2. Cobra93CPR

Going in the morning wish me luck!
    Hopefully they don't though a lawsuit on me for being ill repaired. LOL
  3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

If I understand correctly, you are trying to protect yourself from turf damage due to tree work or the likes that you would in fact inflict to the customers property? I don't think that's going to go over to well with a potential customer when you tell them whatever damage you do to their lawn, you aren't responsible for. Either that needs to be part of the bid, or you figure out how not to damage their lawn.

Sure as hell wouldn't waste your time or money going to an attorney to write something up like this.

Am I misunderstanding what your after here?
  4. Cut

Cut LawnSite Member

If you dont do much damage, couldn't you repair the lawn more efficiently than paying damage control?
  5. Cobra93CPR

Thanks for input Randy and Cut. I will try not to do much damage but machine does leave indention due to weight.
    Attorneys want to switch me to LLC or S-corp to protect me personally and will look at contracts once that is switched. They did say that having contract/proposal with disclaimers pre-documented is better then writing on forms (will be consistent on all contracts).

Again thanks for input
  6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

If ever in doubt about any part of your business you MUST consult with an attorney. They get paid to keep your azz out of a jam. If you can't afford the consultation fee or any other fees that they need to protect you and your company you won't be around long. We live in a society that loves to litigate!