seeking advise on a partnership

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by nervjiggy, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Will P.C.

Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member

I wasn't suggesting working as an 8/hr employee. From limited details saying he was able to provide for a family a 4, I assume he has a profitable business that is well established (maybe 15+ years)? In addition to actual money, there are certain intrinsic values that come from being a well established business. If he doesn't work to work as much, no problem. You can manage the employees and work to fill his void. What type of money does the business gross yearly? Doesn't have to be specific, but just a general ballpark.

Again maybe I am missing something, but why let a profitable and established business dissolve to start over from square one?
  2. nervjiggy

nervjiggy LawnSite Member

Well in recent years the business has been scaled back. Now it's probably 20-25 clients. I don't know of the profit. At first he did it alone for years in which he provided for our family. It was only ever a 2-3 man crew at the busiest. dad, friend, and I. I agree there's no reason to dissolve it but that's really not my choice to make...
  3. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

A. W. Landscapers Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

I got it now.

Your father's "business" is essentially him servicing 20 to 25 clients with whatever equipment he owns and an occasional helper.

If he is splitting up the clients between 3 people, we are only talking about 7 or 8 clients each or possibly less if it is not an even 3 way split…if your father keeps 10 or 12 clients and splits the rest evenly between you and your friend, you will have 5 or 6 clients.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about some serious numbers here.

You could go out and get your own 5 or 6 clients with a little effort.
  4. nervjiggy

nervjiggy LawnSite Member

I hope so. What is your opinion of EDDM? Do you prefer a different means of advertisement?
  5. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

A. W. Landscapers Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member