Seeking comments on my new lawn

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by yugin, Jul 26, 2008.

1. yugin

yugin LawnSite Member

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I would let it start drying out now and pull those weeds. Rather than overseed right away perhaps get the roots to become well established by backing off the water for the next several days. [Unless it gets too much burning sun and heat].

3. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

If this is only day 13...then you are doing very well! Was there any other types of grass in the mix?

It can take up to 21 days or better for TTTF to germinate so you may be surprised yet!

I do a ton of seeding and this is the advice I give to my customer!

Mow as soon as you can and mow it high (3.5-4 inches). This will thicken the lawn by encouraging it to harded off and tiller.

Remember that TTTF is a bunch type grass so it will not fill in like KYB mixes.

You will be surprised how much it fills in with a sound fertilizer program and weed control!

If you can set a baseball down and there is no grass touching it, you may need to slice those areas, but for the most part I think for the most part it will fill in great!

Only water it in the mornings twice a week and heavy when you do water. This will encourage deep rooting and will limit disease (even though TTTF has a lot of natural resistance).

Good Luck and keep us posted!

4. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Adding some soluble Potassium Nitrate at 1/4lb/mo. with a micro-nutrient mix would aid in the root development and thicken up the existing grass...Water it in after application. Roy

5. yugin

yugin LawnSite Member

Thank you guys for all comments.
    Even though it's in mid 80's now with practically no rain? I water 30 min. morning and evening and twice 20 min during the day.
    IIRC, I seeded first 10-20% of the lawn with KBG mix and the rest of it with TTTF mix. I think it had 3 kinds of Fescue. I didn't save the package.

Is it really a good idea to pull weeds now?

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, don't be afraid to pull some weeds now if you like. Pound it again with some starter fert. (much like what Ralmaroad stated). One thing to keep in mind...you STI have ALOT of viable seed that hasn''t even germinated yet, so yoiu are in better shape than what it even appears now. Do NOT stop watering and let it "dry up" at this point...I have NO idea where this suggestion came from. These new little seedlings HAVE to be kept moist. you have some goodones out there, but if you look close, you also have ALOT of brand new fine little hairs that are very fragile. These will be healthy plants eventually. you let it go dry now, and they will quickly wilt and die - to never come back. As far as watering, 30 minutes MAY be a bit to long...unless the water is coming out very lightly. The trick is, is to go by depth, not time...Everyones supply comes out at different rates. Just make sureyou are getting down to about the shallow root system, and that it (water) can penetrate just little deeper after it is shut off. Otherwise, you are just wasting water (displacement and flushing) before the turf plants can uptake and utilize it, and washing good nutrients out as well. As far as the clumpiness of the grass is, don't worry about it. as mentioned before, TTF is a bunch type growth habit, and initially grows like that.It fills out eventually. It just doesn't spread as readily as prostrate growth habit turfgrasses (which grow outward). Prostrate growth habit types also require a bit more potassium feeding that the others to maintain a good thinckness. the advantages? many. The most obvious is a deep root system which takes it more drought tolerant (when mature) and keeps it green longer though eat and drought stress. Anyway, you are doing well.

7. yugin

yugin LawnSite Member

Thanks, Runner,
    I might take a closer look at the amount of watering.

Does it matter if I applied starter fertilizer at the time of seeding as far as adding more goes?

I think I have to take couple weeks vacation somewhere far to stop bugging myself every time I look at the grass.:hammerhead:

8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I agree with Runner as far as keeping wet, but I think you can do this by watering every other day or so depending on the temp and wind.

I have found that most people over water a new lawn. You can get by with much less then you think as long as the top is kept moist!

I was talking about watering twice a week and heavy once all the grass is up! Sorry for the confusion on that!

Also as Runner stated, it would be good to put another starter app on it!

You are going to have an AWESOME lawn, as the TTTF is great and the KYB will "fill in the cracks" for the lawn.

9. yugin

yugin LawnSite Member

I really hope so
    When is a good time to do that? Now? After first mowing?

10. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Poor guy, I hated dragging hoses. :) But like the others said, you look to be in great shape! :clapping: