1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Seeking Feed back from professionals

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BigK, Apr 5, 2005.

1. BigK

BigK LawnSite Member

A partner and I have a small equipment dealership and we don't currently carry a line of what we consider high-end commercial mowers. We are have been approached by a couple of distributors to stock their line of equipment. I was wondering what the professionals like to see in a high-end mower? What are the top 5 considerations when considering a purchase of a new mower? Any comments that will help us in deciding what line has high appeal to the landscape pro is appreciated.
    FYI - one of the distributors talking to us is grasshopper.
  2. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

Well there will allways be a market for Exmark and Scag.

I love my ferris, i think they would catch on more if there were more ferris dealers.

I like the grass hoppers too.
  3. K&L Ent.

K&L Ent. LawnSite Member

:p I have to agree with the King Exmark and scag are great mowers I just picked up a new Toro Z500 27/60, purchased a Toro Z200 25/52 last year and love them both to death, I reside in PA so let me know and good luck with the business!!!
  4. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Good dealer support is my #1 priority. I pretty much buy along the lines of what my dealer sells because he backs them 100%. Parts availability is also important. There are lots of good brands out there. I've been very happy with my Ferris mowers also. I also have Scag and Wright Stander machines which have been great. I've pretty much switched over to RedMax 2 cycle equipment.
  5. MacPhersonlawn

MacPhersonlawn LawnSite Member

When considering the purchase of a new mower my my 1st priority is service.
    As long as it is a quality commerical mower, service is the overriding factor.
  6. greenwithenvylandscape

greenwithenvylandscape LawnSite Member

I'm in Lakeland FL and use Toro and Hustler mowers. I have problems getting the Toro parts. I bought the Hustler from a dealer that has 4 or 5 different lines and he talked me into the Hustler. I bought from them because of their reputation and the parts avail.
  7. timinkc

timinkc LawnSite Member

1. Quality cut
    2. Dealer Support
    3. Reliabiltiy
    4. Ease of Maintenance
    5. Price, maybe i should say value

not really in that order, because they are all equaly important to me. I love my Ferris too.
  8. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Yes Exmark and Scag are very popular brands and just about every dealer carries them. Id like to see a few more dealers that offer more of a variety of other brands. My suggestion would be carry one of the big guys like Exmark, but offer a few of the less popular brands as well.

My recommedations:
    1. John Deere
    2. Dixie Chopper
    3. Ferris
    4. Walker
    5. Grasshopper
  9. Equipguy

Equipguy LawnSite Senior Member

Hustler has good dealer support and a nice margin as well. Ck'em out.
  10. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

You Have To Have Toro