1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Seeking good pants for spraying chemicals!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Krazylegz1485, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 LawnSite Member
    from MPLS

Howdy. I'm currently preparing to start my second year of chemical applicating. Last season I had an issue with finding a good pair of pants to wear while spraying. I started with plain jeans, like my employer suggested, but quickly found myself soaked with chemicals from around the knees down. Not something I was too fond of. I ended up wearing khaki shorts with rain pants over the top. This resulted in excellent water-proofing but absolutely no breathability, which sucked on hot days. It was really nice for keeping the chemicals off but I don't think I've ever sweat so much. Talk about swass!

I'm wondering if anybody has any suggestions for pants. Ideally it would be waterproof on the front and breathable in the back. I may even have to fashion my own pair if I can't find anything. Thanks for any help you can provide, I appreciate it!

-Cody

2. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

3. Krazylegz1485

from MPLS

Any suggestion for which brand? I know Gore-tex licenses their tech to several brands (80+ according to their site) but I don't want to spend a year trying to weed through them all. Several of them I recognize from snowboarding brands, but I'm not looking for winter outerwear. And the Gore-tex site only features jackets, not pants.

As far as shoes goes, I'm fine with wearing a decent pair of shoes with a cheap rubber over shoe. They're comfy enough and totally waterproof.

Anybody else?

4. JoJo1990

JoJo1990 LawnSite Member

5. Krazylegz1485

from MPLS

Wow, thanks. Not a terrible price. Might be worth a shot, at least. I've seen different spray-on and wash-in waterproofing things at a few of my local "outdoorsy" stores around here. I've used NikWax products on my snowboard outerwear, and that stuff works wonders. I think the shirts that my employer provides also had that DuPont Teflon stuff built in, too. As long as the over spray was a light mist you could see it bead up on the material.

I'm also looking into getting a better pair of overshoes/overboots. The ones they provide for us are only ankle high and basically do nothing to prevent stuff from going in through the tops of your shoes. I found a few 8-12" high pairs online today for right around $20. Not too shabby if it's gonna keep the crap out of my shoes.

6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Pants?
    Spray in your undies, man!

7. Krazylegz1485

from MPLS

Trust me, I would if I could. I'd be a lot more agile and I'd stay a hell of a lot cooler on those awesome summer days where the dewpoint is higher than the temp. Good ole MN summers...

I'd probably get more tips from the old ladies, too.

8. Young Bros

Young Bros LawnSite Senior Member

tbtigers likes this.
  9. SeedPro

SeedPro LawnSite Bronze Member

You need a pair of plastic Chaps.

They have them at TGCL. I don't know where you get them.

10. LawnoftheMonth

LawnoftheMonth LawnSite Senior Member

just ordered a pair to try out :waving:

I have a pair of Muck boots that I like, but they didnt even last a year, so I ordered a pair of Tingley boots to try out, my estes rep said they were great, we'll see.