Seeking Info regarding Oil Coolers

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Fuzzy1, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Fuzzy1

Fuzzy1 LawnSite Senior Member

Being a firm believer in the concept that cool oil helps to extend engine life, I am looking into the possibilities of putting together some type of heat exchanger to mount remotely in order to accomplish that task. Before doing bunches of searching, I thought I'd check here and see if any of you folks have attempted such a task ???

The machine in question is a John Deere Z920R with the Kawasaki 23.5hp FX691V engine. I'm thinking some bracketry to mount the cooler above the engine shroud with the possibility of a small fan just in case the engine doesn't pull enough air through the unit.

Any ideas/input would be much appreciated ... ... ...
  2. ilike2mow

ilike2mow LawnSite Bronze Member

Is there oil cooler connections on the side of the engine? Or would you find some kind of attachment that goes behind the oil filter? I'm just curious to see how you would go about doing this type of modification.
  3. Fuzzy1

I know there are some adapters that go under the filter, and there are some that mount the filter remotely. My Z920r has room to extend the filter outward without interference, so that is probably the way I would go. The adapter normally has an IN & OUT that simply connect to the heat exchanger. Mounting it shouldn't be much of an issue, a few brackets to hold it just above the engine and forward of the air filter should suffice. Then, it's a matter of getting the right lines to hook it up, and add an extra bit of oil to bring the level back up. Additional cooling/airflow can be gotten by adding a small 12v. fan adjacent to the heat exchanger.

Just wondering if anyone has bought or built one, and if I've pretty much covered the bases with my thoughts on the matter. ALL criticism is welcome !!! !!!

thanx ...
  4. Fuzzy1

5. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

You will most likely LOWER oil pressure and that will Shorten the life of your engine.
  6. Fuzzy1

Considering the oil pressure in my engine is quoted at 43-85psi, I don't think a loss of a pound or two in a coil type heat exchanger is detrimental, but I will keep it in mind as I do more research.

Depending on the amount of heat actually extracted by the unit, a multi-viscosity oil sould actually thicken by passing it through the system.

Both events, I suspect would be nearly immeasurable and should pretty much cancel each other out.
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  7. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

It will be more than a pound or two. How much exactly I'm not sure.

I wouldn't do it in my opinion. The engineers would have installed one if you needed one. Contact Kawasaki for an opinion
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Im no engineer, and it may all work out just fine, but from all Ive experienced it wont.

Very true if the engine needed one it would have one. As far as I know theres no "after market performance parts" for lawn mower engines. Meaning no proven kit is avaible.

I would simply sell what the mower and buy a Liquid Cooled Engine, as they do run at the best obtainable temptature.

And Last............and its a BIGGIE, the Engines CHARGING SYSTEM CAN NOT HANDLE THAT ELECTRIC FAN. Not to mention the engine will have too work that much harder even if it could.
  9. tundraman

tundraman LawnSite Senior Member

Just hose your motor off every so often with a garden hose to keep it cool. On a serious note it is good to keep the cooling fins clear of grass buildup. Use a good oil and don't cut anything the mower can't handle. These motors are not diesels and are not designed to go 10s of thousands of hours.
  10. Fuzzy1

Well, I just got off the phone with a friend of mine who is a factory trained TOYOTA mechanic ... AND ... owner of a SCAG with a KOHLER engine that came from the factory with a setup much like I was referring to ... PANCAKE style filter adapter ... two hydraulic lines ... and a COIL TYPE heat exchanger mounted directly over the engine shroud. Also found that KOHLER makes a complete after market kit for about $125 (part #24-755-120-S). Also found there are other manufacturers who offer the cooler either as standard equipment or as an option ... mostly models using KOHLER engines. I don't know where you get the idea that this is in any way a "PERFORMANCE" enhancement ... it's only about optimizing operating conditions to enhance RELIABILITY & LIFESPAN.

The charging system on my J.D. is rated at 15A, and so far has had no trouble whatsoever running the 18" diameter cooling fan that I have mounted overhead in a shroud for sheer creature comfort (photos are posted here in another thread) ... I doubt if the load of a little 6" fan is going to do any harm.

As far as an engine "needing one" ... I would agree, it probably doesn't "NEED" one ... that is hardly proof that one wouldn't be a benefit. The above paragraph obviously outlines the fact that there are "proven" kits available.