Seeking Success in door to door

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Rayholio, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got 2 guys doing door to door.. have been for over a month.. They're closing about 3 sales a week (combined) on site.. The door hangers etc are actually generating more leads than them...

I knocked on doors with them the 1st day, and I closed 2 out of every 3 people I talked to.... no problem.

I know that I'm generally more knowledgable, and a better sales person.. but this is ridiculus..

I spent a full day doing book training, half a day door to door in the job training, and another 2 full days of letting them come with me to close jobs to see how I interact with customers..

I guess my question is if there's any method to get generally ignorant people to sell reliably? a system? maybe a sales approach? We've tried offering promotion 1st... then free lawn analysis.. and now we're going to try to just sell them on one problem.. "we can kill those weeds for $52.00..."

We're also taking block lead info as we go, so it's not a total waste, but I know there has to be a way to get these guys to be more productive... I'd like to see 3 sales a day out of each of them, and don't see any reason why that isn't attainable..

any help?

2. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

Incentive. True incentive.

(Commission)

3. Rayholio

They're being paid $8 an hour plus commission which is $1 per lead sent to me, $3 per 10k lawn and an additional $1 per each 5k thereafter.. that's just on the base package.. I've also set up monthly sales goals for a $100 bonus per person...

4. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

Quit paying them by the hour and pay them a commission off of the yard total amount for the year.

5. Rayholio

honestly, I would pay strait commission if I was just having them do sales.. but block leads require a lot of paperwork, and I want to give them a reason to do the job right.. I can't have my block leads all screwed up.

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Ray

Truegreen does this all the time. Seems like a costly method IMHO. I have had great success Clover leafing my customers neighbors.

7. TLClandscaping

TLClandscaping LawnSite Member

FIRED!!!!

As a PAST Trugreen Salesman, I closed a min. of 5 a day! I was Marketing MGR before I quit, if I had 2 guys selling 3 a week, they would be gone. 2 a day min. for your sales team. Those guys couldnt close a door! Make them a script and make them study it, tell them to LISTEN to the client too, see what they are in need of and catch it, last thing, DONT ASK FOR BUSINESS, TELL THEM.

8. Rayholio

What method(s) were you using to close those sales? high pressure?

9. Turfdoctor1

Turfdoctor1 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree!

Here is the problem I see. You hired these guys at the wrong time of the year. In our area, if you don't have your customer base locked in for the year by this point, you can forget it. I still get some calls, but my advertising is worthless at this point in the season.

Give them a try again next year, but they are a complete waste of your resources right now.

10. Rayholio

I actually hird guys back in febuary.. they got trained, then didn't work 2 weeks due to sub-freezing temps... one didn't come back, and the other lasted about 2 more weeks before quitting.. then I hired two more guys after a week or two of down time and one of them quit, and I hired a replacement...

I guess long story short, I've been trying to market for at least 2 months, and the weather has been a big problem.. people are still not 100% in the 'spring mood' here...

are you suggesting fall marketing with the 'locked in for a year" thing?

honestly, I more interested in techniques that critiques...