Seems like everyone is a tree cutter

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by turtle, Oct 20, 2010.

1. turtle

turtle LawnSite Member

Is it me or are there really more guys doing tree work? It seems like everyone is a tree guy lately. Is it really that easy to start a tree service?

2. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

Most guys have a chain saw, truck, why not...!
    I've been around my father in law alot when he cuts trees he was a logger for 30 years in the UP (Michigan) ...
    I believe it takes a real talent to drop tress within a few feet of homes, let alone running a saw takes years of experience. Myself tree work is too risky...

3. with a $200 dollar saw your in business.

4. Outdoors_Unlimited

Outdoors_Unlimited LawnSite Senior Member

It is easy to break into. Its how I got the courage to break out on my own. I worked for someone for three years and learned the ground work. A nasty ice storm hit here, and I bought a saw to do cleanups. Learned I liked being my own boss, so I bought climbing gear and taught myself to climb (with lots of pointers from my old boss)

There's a big difference between dropping a few trees in the woods, and doing residential removals.

I laugh when most guys call themselves tree guys.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. DJJS

DJJS LawnSite Senior Member

Same here, half the guys I've seen on this site asking about pricing tree jobs, and half the guys I've seen attempting to cut down trees in my area have no business doing tree work. I'm lucky enough to have a very expierenced climber working for me now and I learned to climb as a teenager. Most guys just think a chainsaw and a truck is all you need, but dropping trees within inches of homes and buildings requires so much more as far as knowledge of what you're doing, capable employees the proper equipment and most importantly INSURANCE. Tree insurance isn't cheap, and the proper equipment isn't either.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

A freind of mine has a tree service. He has about 8 employees, bucket trucks, crane trucks etc.. He says the Fly By Nighters are killing him. He'll try to get $600 or more for a complete tree removal including stump grinding etc and the fly by nighters are getting $250 or $300. Here's a pic of them doing some work.

treework 4.JPG

treework 6.JPG

7. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, same here, lots of guys doing tree work now. It can be darn good money..$1,000 plus per day for couple guys with a pickup truck and chain saw.

8. whosedog

whosedog LawnSite Senior Member

Anybody that's dropping trees and running a chipper without insurance is crazy,way too dangerous,accidents are just waiting to happen.One of the guys I used to work with lost a brother(who left behind a wife and kids)when the scarf he was wearing got caught in the chipper and he got pulled in head first.Fortunately he was working for the town DPW so she got taken care of financially,but money doesn't bring back the husband and father that those kids will miss every day.

9. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I feel bad for the guy...but what the hell was he wearing a scarf around a tree chipper for???? Thats like saying I "accidentally" lost my hand when I stuck it under the mower with the blades on.

10. jeffslawnservice

jeffslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Don't even need a $200 saw. i just use a eight inch Felco prunner. Think I might buy an axe next year so I can take on the big stuff. And by the way if I do buy an axe how much should I charge to take down a 90 year old Oak tree? i was thinking maybe $200 or is that too high?