Seems like I have to cut twice to get a nice cut?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lasher66, Aug 22, 2003.

1. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

HI,
    I was just wondering if anyone in here noticed that on a first pass with a ZTR, the first cut just dont seem that even and nice. This seems to happen even if I have newly sharpened blades. I have a Bunton 52" ZTR. I am currently running doubles, but this seems to happen even more with singles. I try to cut slower in high grass but this just doesnt seem to look as good as its supposed to. I am not saying that there is uncut grass everywhere or strips of grass, I just dont think the cut looks that good until I go over it a second time. Just wondering if anyone else is having this problem. Thanks

Lasher

2. Rob T

Rob T LawnSite Member

Well, I don't know if this will help with your problem but, I have an 2 older Lazers that acts like that. There is nothing I can see that is wrong with the mower. Sharp new blades and it still cuts lousy. Always have to double cut. Now, I know the mower did not cut that bad when I bought it. I just can't seem to figure out what's wrong with it. Maybe it's just worn out.

A few things to look for:
    slipping belt, bent/mis-aligned spindle, bent blade, clogged deck, worn/dull blade, incorrect deck adjustment/alignment, bent deck baffle, blade to blade alignment, ect.

Some double blade combos can disrupt the way a mower cuts.

Also some types of grasses will cause a problem in different weather conditions. Cool season grass will go limp and tough as it gets dry. Can be harder to cut cleanly.

3. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

I did notice that about different grasses. It seems like really thin fescue grass will cut really lousy and leave alot of straglers behind, but really thick tougher lawns seem to cut really nice.

Lasher

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Check The RPM'S And Check The Deck Picth.
    John

5. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I have this problem too. Quite often actually. I just hate twice cutting every lawn. I'm wondering if the blades are turning too slowly. I may have someone look at it, maybe the governor can be changed.

6. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

I noticed that crab grass likes to be double cut... LOL... I hate that stuff...

7. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I find that as I grind away my blade width, the quality of my cut deterrates. Not so noticable on my Walker because it goes slower but on the Super Z its very noticable. My Super Z blades are about half worn out when I quit useing them. The lifts don't even show much wear. I'm hopping they will work OK on fall clean-up.

Gene

8. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

check deck pitch. Ie : measure all four corners and the front should be slightly lower than the back.

Or rpm's..

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Expert
    Check The Governor Spring

10. O P M

O P M LawnSite Member

I was just in at my Toro Dealer yesterday asking him about this. Mind you, my Toro is a Pro Line 21" for trimming (best 21" ever). He said the second blade would hurt, not help and the baffling may be hurting in thin blade grass. BUT, the baffling helps in thicker blade grass............... So, you can't have the best of both worlds unles you want to change your lawnmower around between each job.

BTW - I love my day old SCAG !!!