Seems like sales tax makes things difficult

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The landscaper, Feb 24, 2005.

1. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

What do you guys do when charging sales tax. What about people who pay cash. Is it a pain when the total is like 32.48 or some oddball number. I have a handful of customers who have been paying cash and when I charge them sales tax this year just looking to see what do to.

2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

If they are paying cash, why would you charge sales tax?

3. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

couldn't have said it better myself!!!

4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

So you mean Glen if I go to Walmart and pay cash, I can tell the cashier, "hey, I paid you cash, why you charging me sales tax? " ;)

5. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

If the number comes out to be some oddball number that doesn't hit an exact dollar amount, why not go ahead and round up the number to the next highest dollar amount and charge them that amount. That way it takes the change out of the equation for the client.

6. The landscaper

Could I put something on the invoice like 2 different totals. One with sales tax or a cash amount?

7. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

Your the boss, you can do what you want.
    You could cut their grass in your slippers, tank-top, and boxers, "if you want".

8. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I would love to see the IRS auditors face when he finds your invoice and finds out you blatantly and intentionally offer cash deals to aviod screwing with taxes. I don't think I would leave a paper trail for any cash deals that I took part in for my services.

9. The landscaper

Thats what i was thinking, wouldnt want an audit and have the invoices like that

10. TrueTrim1

TrueTrim1 LawnSite Member

I round off to the nearest dollar and then back the tax out. Depending on what the local tax rate is, I have a formula ( programed into the computer) that i multiply by that gives me the exact amounts for cost and tax for bookkeeping purposes. It it easier that way both for myself and the customer. Believe it or not, I actually collect sales tax no matter what form of payment I get.