1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

seen my drawings? now check out my PATIOWORK!

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by chunkitron3030, Jul 7, 2007.

1. chunkitron3030

chunkitron3030 LawnSite Member

here are some pics of a patio i put in for a customer of ours that owns a local barBQ shack. the part i like doing the best is putting in the polymer sand in the cracks. pour it on top, sweep it in, hose her down. its a 1 man job just how i like it. (i have mild OCD), grrrr, check the pics. what you all think? keep in mind i am only the landscape designer, granted i am new to all of this really, i think i am catching on.

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Well...I guess you DO like to put that sand on eh? Did you know you are supposed to keep it off the flagstone? Apply it in the cracks only and sweep it and clean it off of the stones then moisten it with a light spray so it does not adhere to the flag?
    Betcha didn't huh?
  3. chunkitron3030

yippers i sure do. it is easier to go back with a metal brush scrape off the top, and then sweep the excess off. that way you dont have deep cracks, they will be level with the rock. and remember the patio was still wet when i took the pics. it came out nice....
  4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

That is strange, I was under the impression it was almost impossible to remove and would also leave a stain.
  5. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

It is easiest to let your blower idle over your flagstone pieces and blow the sand out or off of the stone before wetting, after brooming. We have done many this way; youre wasting your time going back with a brush.
  6. kandklandscape

kandklandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

so you did not use any mortar at all on your project? just sand?
  7. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

easier to go back with a metal brush after? Hey if thats how you want to do it fine but it is much easier to blow the sand off before you wet it than scrape anything off afterward.

use a blower at idle and hold it at a high angle.
  8. chunkitron3030

i sometimes use a blower, but i didnt have it at the jobsite with me, it was at another job. the metal brushing doesnt take but 5-10 minutes. and the stuff does come off easy as long as you didnt leave any area where it was caked on.
  9. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

Looks great, really pretty flagstone also. What kind of polymer sand do you use? Is it an additive to the sand or do you have to buy it already added? I have been wanting to give it a try.
  10. chunkitron3030

we buy it from some place in canada. its already premixed and all comes in a 40-50 lb bag. great stuff.