Seen this before???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Personal Pride, Jul 15, 2003.

1. Personal Pride

Personal Pride LawnSite Member

Well I wasn't able to get the picture to post, but I will describe it and try posting pic later.

My wife and I just bought a house, and have a four foot high chain link fence. the wire ties that are used to tie the chain link to the posts and top rail are ~ 9ga. solid aluminum wire. Every one of the top post ties all the way around the yard, except those where the bushes rest on the top of the fence, look like they have been gnawed through, many are have been gnawed so thin they broke others are very close. At first I thought maybe some type of push mover drug by every time mowed, the previous owner always had a rider (original owner) then I though that can't be right, all gnawing is on top of rail not on side even back very close to the chain link. Either we have some really hard toothed squirrels or some birds I don't want to meet in a dark alley. Any body have any idea??:eek: :eek: :eek:

2. griffin16

griffin16 LawnSite Member

Have you ever seen the movie "Night of the living dead"

Sleep with one eye open, and for gods sake don't shoot them.

3. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Yup, I'd move.

4. Personal Pride

:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

You mean I have to live with 'em

5. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Couple ideas.
    1. Bushes are rubbing them in the wind.
    2. Bushes allow them to stay damp and they are corroding.
    3. Bushes are chemicaly attacking them.

6. Personal Pride

I guess maybe I wasn't real clear in the above post, the only places where this isn't happening is where the bushes touch the top rail, which leads me to think that they are inhibiting what ever is doing this.

I am wondering if a chemical reaction of some kind isn't happening, because this is the only aluminum on the fence, but then why not the whole piece rather than just part of it, is it something that is rubbed off the feet of some animal. This is really weird.

p7150084.jpg

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Ah yes. I can tell you exactly what that is. Why? I can't really say that one for sure. My neighbor owns a large tree business for the last 20+ years and we were discussing this the other day. It is Squirrels. I have some of those at my house to. They figured out what is was several years ago. They will over time chew all the way thru them.

Why? Not sure but only 2 things come to mind. #1 is they may use them to sharpen their teeth. #2 is that maybe some mineral in the material they need and get it from those.

A pellet gun does wonders to help with that problem.;)

8. Personal Pride

Thanks, I kinda thought that might be it, or the chemical thing, but it seemed real far fetched.
    I think I will just replace them with the galvanized steel type.

Thanks again,

9. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

Squirrels can do some strange sh** - had them eat through a bird feeder made of lexan (bullet proof glass). Kinda looks like maybe they were trimming the bushes and got into it with the saw

10. Movinfr8

Movinfr8 LawnSite Member

Looks like ya need to call the X-files!