Seeping Bedding Sand?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by djmn, May 9, 2007.

1. djmn

djmn LawnSite Member

So i'm doing a patio that is bounded on two sides by a freestanding Allan Block Courtyard wall. Should I worry about the bedding sand washing out/seeping through the joints between blocks? If so, I was just thinking of extending the geo-textile fabric up an additional inch to retain the bedding sand as well as the base....you guys see any problem in that or have any other ideas???
    Thanks

2. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

That's exactly what you do .

3. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Or use Pavetech edging.

Kirk

4. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

On raised applications, your geotextile should actually wrap your sand on the edges by a foot, but at least extend it up the wall to contain the sand.

chris

5. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

If your building any raised patio, or step with a landing, you DEFINITELY need to use a thin geotextile (heavy duty non woven) and wrap it up the sides of your wall caps. After you fit your pavers in, use a razor blade and cut away the excess.

6. Hokie84

Hokie84 LawnSite Member

Champion,
    I am getting ready to put pavers in the landing area of a large set of steps. I was going to do exactly what you suggested, but with the woven geo-fabric I usually use. Just curious what the reason was to go with the non woven fabric, and should I wrap the fabric back some so it is actually between the sand and first paver?