Seeping Buckner Valve

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ArTurf, Jul 16, 2012.

1. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

I checked for debris and flushed and then replaced top end and a new diaphram but still seeping. Any suggestions or last chance solutions. If I have to replace it's gonna be a SOB. Here is a picture of the type of valve. Ewing bought this valve and now sells it.

david i phone 013.jpg

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You may have ruled out everything but a crack in the body near the seat.

3. Waterlogged

Waterlogged LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Check for a hairline crack on the seat. Body could be warped or damaged some way. Any roots or ground shifting? I would take it apart and back together one more time, then replace

4. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

looks like an early model of an old weathermatic. check again for debris, scarring on the upper and the diaphram seat, then bite the bullet and cut it out.

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Hey Boots - is Buckner and Nelson one company? Those look like some Nelson valves that I "inherited". I actually had to use two of them this spring.

6. Wet_Boots

Nelson was always its own animal, aside from some marketing team-ups, and one of the few sprinkler manufacturers east of the Mississippi.

7. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

8. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

I guess the Champion Silver Arrow uses the same diaphram. Must be some kind of affiliation with Buckner and Champion and Weathermatic(Silver Bullet) uses the same type of bleed lever.

9. Wet_Boots

I think the bleed lever was grabbed by everybody the moment the patent ran out

10. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Ewing sells this valve now. As far as I know they call it "Ewing brand".

So here is the rest of the story. I pulled the top off again and saw a piece of debris (pvc/glue in 1st pic) which I removed with needle nose pliers. I then flushed it again and put it back together. Still seeping after that so bite the bullet and dedide I need to go ahead and replace it. It is threaded so that helps. After pulling I reach up into the input pipe and feel this piece of pvc(2nd pic). I thread on new valve and glue everything back together. Not as bad as I 1st thought, it took me 1 1/2 hours. I'm guessing the piece of pvc was too large to pass through valve and would suck back into pipe when I shut off the water, but would come back and stop diaphram from closing fully.