Seized a Stihl FS135R today after 2 seasons

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nosparkplugs, Jul 1, 2008.

1. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Just seized up a Stihl FS135R today, the exhaust valve sleeve broke & dropped down onto the piston according to the tech i had look at it today.

Were really tough on handhelds I guess, and for the price i thought the FS135R would be a good machine to try, I was WRONG waste of money for us:cry:, I replaced it with another powerful rock solid 40cc Stihl FS250R:clapping:.

we remove all our gaurds, and our local dealer said Stihl is now recommending, do not take the gaurds off these 4-mix engines; because the extra string is to much load on the 4-mix engines causing the valves to overheat. Also Stihl is "now" recommending synthetic 2 stroke lubricant in all engines, imagine that. We are running Amsoil Saber two stroke for 3 seasons now, with great success in all our 2/stroke engines, and Amsoil fully synthetic lubricant in all 4 stroke engines.
    The Stihl 4mix engine overheating problem will no longer be a problem for us; because I have now switched to all Stihl FS250R even for edging:dizzy: I'm wondering how long the gearbox on the Stihl edger head will last under 40cc's of engine:confused:

SO?
    if your needing a truly heavy duty weedeater do not got with a Stihl 4-mix, and if you do keep the trimmer line gaurds. we are running all Stihl FS250R's with great success, and their not slowing down after 2 seasons of HD use

2. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

The Fs 250 is legendary. I agree with you regarding the 4mix. I have about 10 of the units and its just something about them I dont like, its probably the delay in power. I own both the T270 and the FS 250, the FS250 is the best trimmer I have ever run, hands down. My only problem is, its too powerful, not everyone can operate it.

.... And for Stihl the really need to go back to the drawing board with that 4mix crap, you know its a problem when they start to tell you what type of oil to use and how to use the machine. Im going to follow up with them tomorrow and if its true about the gaurd then they can come and pick up all of their 4mix crap.

3. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

I too am a firm believer in the FS-250R's. I have two now and I just added the second replacing my FS-100RX piece of junk. Cpel2004 is right when he says that not everyone can operate a 250 because of the mass amount of power. I too run all mine without guards and they are the best weedeater for mowing ditches handsdown.

4. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

I love the 0-60 in a quarter of a second feeling without any lag what so ever. Just pure freaking power. I dont understand how can Stihl produce such a brillant piece of equipment like the FS 250 that leaves nothing to be desired, then come out with the 4mix stuff.

I guess I should disclose, I love my BR 600 blower... its a keeper.

5. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

i like the fs100rx,still no problems yet

6. nosparkplugs

The EPA is who we need to thank for these 4-mix units; i guess Stihl is taking the lead with converting the majority of their weedeater engines to 4-mix's already. Why the others are not fully converting to 4-mix yet i don't know. Stihl will only offer the FS80, and the FS250R in a 2-stroke engine.
    I know my guys are happy with the FS250R power & reliablity, but whine about the weight sometime, and tried to talk me into another "light" Redmax BCZ3000S purchase, not!! their no better than the 4-mix, and we have worn the BCZ3000S out quickly also.
    Like I told the guys today, they all will be using the same weedeater's, no more complaining now.

7. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

If this is a lubrication failure, why haven't you contacted Amsoil?

It should be taken care of, shouldn't it? There should be no failures in the lubrication department when it comes to using saber and 89 octane fuel or better.

If I mis-read or missed something please let me know, otherwise maybe you have some recourse that you can look into here?

Good luck and I hope it works out in your favor on this.

8. nosparkplugs

You read it wrong, amsoil did not cause the failure it's a valve problem. The Amsoil Saber most likly prolonged the 4-mix engine's life span

No complaint; because you only get a 1 year warranty on commercial use, and i got one year. So just will not purchase a 4-mix ever again.

The FS135R engine failure is due to a weak bronze exhaust valve sleeve, the 4-mix is prone to valve failure when you take the line guard off the weedeater head, and the line can now spool out longer, and this is what cause's the extra load on the 4-mix engine's, result the valves cannot take the heat and falls into the cylinder bore. To combat the heat in these 4-mix engines, Sthil is now recommending leaving the gaurds on all 4/mix weedeaters, and fully synthetic 2-stroke lube in all 2 stroke or 4-mix engines

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

My take on it is some last forever and some crap out before the season's up,
    and sure when they give up I try and find the reason why too, but that's just how it is.

My first Fs-85 almost didn't make it through the first year.
    My current Fs-100 is on its 3rd...
    Why?

Oh this and that bs they tell us, sure, yeah, right.
    Run the next one exactly the way they tell you or do the exact opposite and either way it might make it, or not.

Just how it is, I don't think we'll ever find out why.

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You should contact Stihl directly about the fallen valve guide. They have been known to replace short blocks for free because of this problem well after the warranty has run out. Trust me, I know they will do it.