Selection for new Job

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by jbailey52, Feb 6, 2008.

1. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a job we are going to start doing. I am finishing up the design now, but since this house has a lot of bricks, I was wondering if ephenry brick stone dakota blend with harvest blend would look ok.. I love the look of these two pavers mixed together, but I want to make sure it will look ok in this application. Also, We will be removing the first stoop, but was wondering what your suggestions might be to the bricks under the front door, as you can see in the close up. Also, we will be adding a step in the middle of the walkway to take away some of the slope, but is mainly esthetic. I know I know one step is a no-no but we will be having boulders on both sides and Low voltage lighting as well. Anyway I really appreciate everyones suggestions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jbailey52

Anyone? I am trying to finish this bid tonight.. To sum it up, I am asking peoples opinion on the color selection of E.P. Henry coventry brickstone using dakota and harvest blend and also what Can I do with the existing bricks under the door? Thanks

3. patron

patron LawnSite Member

From the looks of the pics just about any thing will be an improvement.

Good luck Hope you get the job.

4. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I can’t comment on the colors as EP Henry is not sold here, but I don’t see what your problem is with the stoop? I'm guessing you plan to replace the concrete with a landing of SRW and pavers? You can leave the brick fascia untouched IMO and use the pedestal method for constructing the stoop. Glue on you cap or bullnose and glue the field. It would help if you posted you design.

5. jbailey52

Yes, we are going to take out all of the concrete and replace the walk with pavers as well as the step with retainign wall pavers and bullnose...I am not done the plan yet.. isnt much different, couple of curves different but the shape of the path will generally stay the same. as for the landscaping, that is going to be a total change.. i was wondering, could I Bring the step up to the bottom of the door? I just dont like the look of the existing bricks that are there now.

6. Captains Landscape

I think you could without any problem using the pedestal method. Might want to flash the veneer, if it will help any. I wouldn’t backfill hollow steps against the veneer, and you have no need too if you use the pedestal method.

7. jbailey52

Im sorry I read your post a couple times.. and I just get lost.. haha can you explain what you mean again? Thanks.. and 'flash' the veener? I am by no means a mason.. do you mean remove the bricks under the door and replace with a different material?

Thanks again

8. Captains Landscape

I can’t really tell what the condition is of the bricks. They look like dog sh*t in the pict. If you are planning on butting SRW block right up against the bricks (basically having SRW blocks in the exact location of the concrete slab, only flush with the top) I would not fill the core with modified stone, rather stack block on top of block (pedestal method). Don’t force water into the brick cavity either (I cant tell the construction of the veneer, so YOU need to make the call) you may need to run some flashing over the top of the brick shelf where it meets the doorsill. It seems as the current condition of the brick is in poor shape, does it leak into the house at all? The only reason I ask is that typically the brick would be recessed under the doorsill as to not allow water to seep behind the veneer. When you put your landing flush with the top of the brick, you will be encouraging more water in that location regardless of the negative pitch of the landing. Maybe caulk the seem between the srw and brick

9. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

The bricks look pretty bad, so does the wood. Id flash bricks and build up in a pedastal. I wouldnt mess around with the old stuff too much or you might find the front door coming out. Although that should be done first and would make your life easier anyways. Sorry cant help you with the EP Henry, hard to tell what the colors are on my screen. I just got RLP so I messed around with your pic some. Not sure which color is closest, if any. Not the best but its my first and took only 45 min.

test paver 1.JPG

10. jbailey52

Well thank you for taking the time to do that. Verp appreciated.. Im not caught up on the masonry terms though. What do you mean flash the bricks? And by the sounds of it you think I should keep the original stoop and build around it? This is what I plan on doing, anyway. I will post my design soon and see what you guys think. The new pathway is basically the same shape as the existing, except for the step that will be in the middle of the walkway. I am having such trouble trying to do something different then just having a pathway leading to the door. I dont want to do anything huge or drastic, but I am trying to come up with a different idea, and it is very hard.. Im not used to hardscape design.