Selective nonselective ???'s

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by MOW ED, Apr 8, 2004.

1. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have a customer that has a mulch bed that was improperly made and the grass has migrated into the mulch. He wants me to get rid of the grass and properly prepare the bed and remulch. There is a stand of arbor vitaes that is the focus of the bed.

What product can I use to kill the grass in the bed without damaging the arbor vitaes?

I don't want to dig it all out. Yes I am certified and liscensed but I don't do much with a selective, nonselective herbicide. What do you recommend?

2. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

You can spray round up non selective herbicide if the arbs are mature. But don't get to close hand pull the other stuff.

A little word to the wise use a piece of cardboard to shield any plant or bushes

3. Luscious Lawns

Luscious Lawns LawnSite Member

Pennington makes a product called "Post" it is a selective grass herbicide which is tolerated well by most broadleaf plants & conifers

Allen

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

selective means, you select a product, and use it.

5. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Roundup will only kill the green stuff. As long as you keep it off the leaves it wont harm the arbivita.In fact I use roundup to kill the sucker shoots on the base of trees, does no harm to the tree. Also you can use Cassoron for year long control of grass and weeds.

6. Luscious Lawns

Luscious Lawns LawnSite Member

Roundup is risky to use a sucker defoliant, for it is a translocated herbicide, probably Finaly would probably be safer as a defoialiant.

Just my 2 cents