Selective Weed Control in Ornamental Beds?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by johnroscoe, Jun 16, 2011.

1. johnroscoe

johnroscoe LawnSite Member

Yes, I'm licensed for ornamental beds, I just don't do much of it. Mostly, good cultural practices and hand weeding is enough. However, I have some beds that we're losing the battle on, the weeds are getting worse after 3 season of hand weeding, and the labor time is getting out of hand.

Particularly, I'm looking to control bindweed/morning glory and thistles in beds with low-spreading junipers and english ivy.

I've put in a call to our rep, but am curious to any real-world experience some of you might have in large commercial beds with weed infestations.

I'm entirely responsible for the plantings on these properties, and honestly, I'm about to dig it all out, spray with glyphosate every 2 weeks until it's all dead, and start over.

Help!

2. BaxtersEssentialLawnCare

BaxtersEssentialLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I have been using gly and handweeding. I just added surflan. The gly works good but I want to decrease time spraying currently about everyother week. So I would say gly and weeding mayb spike it wit surflan for better pre m control

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Look in to the Fusilade label, as well. This will help much of what you're trying to accomplish.

4. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

wouldn't gly kill or turn the ivy/juniper brown? I think he's looking for a product that will kill the weeds and not the ivy/juniper.

5. YardPro2008

YardPro2008 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Lontrel...........

6. johnroscoe

johnroscoe LawnSite Member

Just looked up the label on Lontrel, looks like it's worth a shot. Thanks YardPro!

7. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

check out the Image label