1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Self Addressed Stamped Envelopes

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Petr51488, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

It got me thinking. When my parents sent out for some legal forms they said that they had to include a self addressed envelope to receive the papers. What i was thinking with the PITA Customers who don't pay is: Enclose a self addressed envelope so it makes it easier for them to pay. I would think its more of a mental thing. You have the envelope ready, all you have to do it write out the check and throw it in the mail. One less step for them to do. Any ideas?
  2. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

thats what i do iv got the stamp one from office max. I do my envelops and my pest flags
  3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Been thinking about it for awhile and will probably do it. One less step, my reason for doing it too.
  4. oldturf

oldturf LawnSite Member

Send it registered mail, you may be amazed at the response.
  5. CuttingCrew

CuttingCrew LawnSite Member

I've been doing this for this season and I have to tell you, It's not been that great. It has cost me several dollars a week and I don't think it has helped much. Some of my customers have told me how much they appreciate it, but some still find a way to loose the original envelope and hand write one of there own.

Half of them still don't return there invoice till the middle of the month.

6. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

My bill goes out in a large envelope with a smaller self addressed return envelope inside. I don't give them the stamp (I'm too cheap)

I will say this, last month I forgot the return envelopes! You wouldn't believe how much slower you get your check when they use their own envelope! payup
  7. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I've considered this idea in the past. But here's what it comes down to;

If a customer isn't paying you on time simply because they can't find a stamp or an envelope or don't want to write your address down, then maybe that's a BIG CLUE! Get rid of them and keep the customers who don't have this problem.

It isn't rocket science to pay bills. Everyone has them. Everyone should have envelopes and stamps at home. And everyone should be used to sending them out each month. If that's a problem for some of your clients, then I would suggest you should get rid of those clients.
  8. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I tend to include a stamp in proposals for work. I have never not gotten a job when I included a stamp on the return envelope. May just be coinscience....but thats OK....

I agree....slow payers at not changed with a stamp.....

9. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I think a return envelope is a great idea, just as High Grass suggested. Like when you get your electric bill or whatever, there is always a return envelope. It makes it that much easier for the customer, and we ARE in the service industry. However, I think that stamps are a waste of money.
  10. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

In the past I have had customers ask for stamped envelopes as well with the return address on it.I did it for one customer who asked I gave them 8 stamped envelopes for the season and not one invoice came back in one of them.