Self Leveling Mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cblackwe, Sep 4, 2003.

1. cblackwe

cblackwe LawnSite Member

Has anyone used, are using one of the few self leveling commercial mowers out there for retention basins, or highway rights-of-way? Seem like the way to go if all you cut is commercial and had a few severe slopes. The ones I am thinking of are DewEze and Hustler Hillsider?? Anyone??
  2. cblackwe

cblackwe LawnSite Member

DewEze, Hustler Hillsider etc. Anyone???
  3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The Hustler Hillsider will out handle any slope unit on the market, and I would be more than happy to prove it !
    It is also the only slope mowing unit that you can run seasonal attachments on (snowblower, sweeper, blade).
    This unit has been in production and has been sold by dealers for over 20 years. The first model Hillsider came off our assembly lines in 1979 !!!
    Here is a pic of the unit, and if you need a demo let me know.

4. bactrac

bactrac LawnSite Member

Deweze Slope Mowers are extreme mowers in price, complexity, and in their ride. However, I've used Toro and Ferris ZTR's on hills/berms that the Deweze could barely manage. The conditions that dictate weedeating over riding are moisture (dew/rain), turf establishment-dirtspots will cause downslope crashes, and the texture/uniformity of the slope. I like ROPS systems but I never want to use them. My 72" Ferris diesel feels great on slopes compared to a 52" Toro because the stance is wider and thus more stable. The Deweze is a strange beast that is made for smooth/steep slopes but it will take time to get used to. It handles unlike anything I've ridden - it is like a dirtbike with atv tires that has twin 36" hinged bushhog decks under it.
  5. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I would take the hustler hillsider any day over the Deweze slope mower. I have ran both. The hustler has more guts to it.
  6. gleger

gleger LawnSite Member

I'm also looking for mower options for slopes. I haven't heard of either of these mowers but will look at them. The ones I have been looking at (on-line only) is the Power Trac and Kut Quick. The later seems like more of a rough mower for roadsides, where as the Power-trac seems to have different decks for different applications which would suit my operation better. The thing is it seems to have a home built look to it. Has anyone had any experience with this machine??

Cheers .... Gleger
  7. Range Manager

Range Manager LawnSite Member
    from Germany

Aebi TerraTrac are the best I have seen working steep slopes. These are used in the Alps for mowing very steep angles. they claim 45 deg but I have seen them work steeper. Thye are not cheap and you get great quality for the money. We are ecurrently looking at another purchase for more of these machines for other locations. Their site is in several languages.
  8. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

i found it a little ironic that they have a picture of a dark haired, dark skinned frau on their homepage when they are a Swiss company.... what happened to all of the fair maidens in the Alps?
    this is a three year dead thread.....i don't know if Hustler still makes a Hillsider... post this question in the Hustler section and PJ will respond.
  9. Range Manager

Range Manager LawnSite Member
    from Germany

I was just passing along some helpful info. Sorry everytime I go to Switzerland I hardly ever see blonds and blue eyes running around. ;)
  10. gleger

gleger LawnSite Member

Thanx for that Range Manager .... the Aebi certainly looks like a quality built machine capable of performing many tasks ... I'll have to do a little more research on that one. Being new to the site I hadn't realized that the thread was so old. JP had responded to me on this and the hill-sider is no longer being made ... hasn't been for some time now. Anyone with info or experience on larger than 72" slope mowers would greatly appreciated.

Cheers .... George