1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

self propeled lawnboy

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Robert S, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Robert S

Robert S LawnSite Member
    from tx

who makes a good self propeled mower. are lawn boys any good or should i look at the ssears craftmans
  2. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

A search would land you many hours of information to read. Craftsman is homeowner. If you plan on having a mower last a while spend the money and buy a commercial machine. I run hondas hrc 216 and they are bullet proof. I also have a lawnboy homeowner machine for a few areas that we have to lift the mower for a ways. it has lasted for 3 years so far and I actually like the cut it gives.
  3. Robert S

Robert S LawnSite Member
    from tx

wow long time for a homeowner.my step dad has one really old it takes mix gas self propeled but really slow. are the hondas over 300 dollers. im like on a low budget.to bad i cant find a good deal on a commercial used walkbehind like a 36 or so then i could bid on commercial accounts
  4. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

what about trimmers, edgers and blowers? a trailer to get it from job to job? licenses, insurance...there's a lot more to it than just getting the end of the year sale at sears and cutting grass.
  5. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

All right I can tell you are young and hoping to make it a go. However just because you have commercial equiptment, does not mean you can get commercial jobs.
    Machinery does not make a business. You can be in business with total crap and still make money. doing the job faster, cheaper and better makes you more. Commercial equiptment costs more but does a better job, lasts longer and therefor is cheaper in the long run.

Now getting started is key. buy a decent string trimmer, a ok back pack blower and a nice cutting cheap mower and do the job good. as you get more money then start buying the better equiptment.
    there is also insurance and other stuff that is good to have. take it slow and you will do well for your self and better than working at micky d
  6. Gmgbo

Gmgbo LawnSite Senior Member

i have a 1983 and a 1988 2stroke lawnboys that are both self propelled. I like them better then any new one I ahve used. They are also both electric start an i got them for like $20.payup :waving:
  7. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

Im in the same position as you. I compared a 1yr old Honda HRC215 21" for $595 or a Toro self-pace 21"from Home Cheapo for $370. I put a thread up about it and the response I got was to stay away from the used Honda and just suck it up for a season with the Toro and then upgrade to a brand new commercial next year. I don't know much yet but from what I gather, commercial mowers require a lot of maintenance and if you don't know what your doing it might be better to use a Toro for a season til you get your feet wet. A residential mower won't last long but it doesn't use hydraulics like a commercial and I know when I worked on F-18 fighters in the Navy, the hydraulic components were always breakin. Now granted a freakin mower is not the same as a fighter jet but I'm just makin a point. In summary, I'm new too and from what research I've done both on and off this site, its better to go with a cheap mower for your first season if you don't have a lot of money
  8. dewos

dewos LawnSite Member

I go John Deere S.P. lawn mowers. I have a residencial one that I bought 6 going on 7 years ago and cut about 20 yards a week with it and never had troubles with it at all. I change the spark plug and air filter plus oil changes and never ever hard a problem still pulls me. and starts on first pull. JD is the way to go if u ask me..... NOthing runs like a Deere!
  9. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

If you don't have enough money to buy new check out Ebay for a used Toro Proline commercial 21" there the best 21" mower around. I looked today and there are a couple decent ones and one 2 cycle that needs a little work but its worth a look. Toro doesn't make 2 cycle mowers anymore but if you can get it there worth buying their 2 cycle proline 21" mowers are the best mowers ever built by anyone period.
  10. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

I tried that and will try again but I didn't find anything that didn't look like it belonged in a lawnmower graveyard or wasn't in california... lol