1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sell it or Keep it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, Jul 22, 2001.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

I just got back my 21' Toro Pro-Line from the dealer. This is what they did. New piston,rings,crank seals,bearings, and muffler. Complete rebuild. They said they were going to turn everything into Toro, but the air filter and blade adapter which I had to pay for. Different story from the first one they told me that Toro would not fix it because it was my FAULT that it was all carboned up.
    I only use this mower maybe an hour a week anymore, not at one time either. So since it's FRESH should I sell it and buy a less expensive LB 2 cycle for the ditch banks and small hill I use it on or keep it? They are telling me that I'm not getting it HOT enough to BURN off the carbon. So help me out here guy's, what would you all do if you were in my SHOES?

P.S. This was all under the two year warranty period, had 2 weeks left. Thank GOD!!!!!!!!!!
  2. linky

linky LawnSite Member

Maybe you could try a hotter heat range spark plug. I personally would not pay a grand for a mower that i use 1hr. a week. I use my trim mower about 45min. a week. Its a yard machine $165.00 that receives no love and i think it may last 3-4 years or not either way i could not complain.
  3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I'd keep it. Your not gonna get that much out of it selling it. The replacement you buy would likely cost more than what you get out of the Toro.
  4. All that it really needed was crank seals.

What type and ratio of oil are you using?
  5. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

I'm using Husky XP oil in a 50:1 mix w/ 89 octane Shell gasoline. Just like the dealer advised and Toro reccommended the Shell 89 Mid-Grade Fuel. They told me I'm not getting it HOT enough to burn the thing clean.

The reason I purchased this mower was that at one time I was mowing 10 lawns with it and wanted something Commercial that would stand up to running all day. Now that I have a ZTR it doesn't get used that much.

Guess I'll keep it and just let it run after using it only for a few minutes to let it get heated up like they say it needs to be.

6. Your dealer is clueless.

Use Amsoil 100 to 1 mixed 80 to 1 with 87 octane fuel.

The carbon is from using dino oil at 50 to 1.
  7. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds a little strange. How could it not be getting hot enough? Any air cooled engine is gonna get pretty hot....pretty quick. Maybe you should stay away from this dealer, he might have you packing debris in the cooling fins to make it warm up :D

My first Toro was run on Opti2 for many, many hours at a high ratio. I have run Amsoil in everything for the last eight years. Don't hesitate to use it.
  8. The higher the octane the cooler the engine will run.

Plus there is no need to run more than 87 octane in a engine that has a 7 to 1 compression ratio.
  9. crew

crew LawnSite Member

If you can get what you need out of it, I would do exactly as you planned. I have the same toro mower and a LB from the LBJ era. That lawn boy was unstoppable until one of my numbskulls dropped it and broke the deck. This compelled me to fix up the toro which had been parked since it had its own fall. It needed two wheels. 80.00 bucks later(!) it works ok. The long and short of it is the LB is simlpe, light and dependable - the toro was expensive( similar model is approaching 700.00 $) its heavy and less easily manuevered, not to mention the bagger sucks! When the time comes Im going to the Home Depot and buying an LB with a nice bagger that is self propelled for around 400$. If it last half as long as the commercial mower I'll only be a little behind on the money but way ahead on the convienience.