Sell large dump trailer for 650/6500 size dump truck??

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by KrayzKajun, Oct 26, 2013.

1. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Hoping to hear back from the seller with the Black 99' Chevy dump today.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. KrayzKajun

Krafty, just got the specs on the white GMC

2002 GMC C6500
    133k miles.
    8.1L (496) gas
    Allison Tranny.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Krazy you have a pm
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

Just me but would never buy a gas truck that size...

5. KrayzKajun

Trucks in tht size range are very popular with gas engines around here. We don't have any hills. **** we are below sea level.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I've been researching the heck out of hook lift trucks. While I've always wanted a grapple loader truck, just looking at the endless possibilities of a hook lift system makes it attractive. You have a lot of different services that would benefit from several different setups. I certainly see the benefits of a smaller dump truck. While the sandbags are neat, without storms or competition from the new polymer bags, having other setups will help keep you working. Sometimes I wish I could just focus on one thing but in my area there just isn't enough steady work clearing so I do roads and other dirt work as well as move a lot of brush or mulch brush piles. What I get a lot of calls for is hauling stuff off. I have the dump trailer but it's kinda small and a pita to maneuver and it eats tires just hauling logs and stumps.
    Having a larger/longer truck that's dedicated for moving materials or wood or junk seems like it would compliment the machines I have access to.

I'm curious what you decide and hope you find the right combination. I'm on the fence about selling my big chipper and buying a truck instead but I can't see a way that a truck will generate the per-day income that the chipper does but maybe I'm wrong. I think I would enjoy life a little more if I wasn't chipping in 100 degree weather!

7. Kepple Services

Kepple Services LawnSite Senior Member

A grapple truck similar to that one started us. Our first one was a 2001 GMC C7500, single axle, CAT sngine with a lightning loader and a 25 yard body. We still have the truck but now its got a 40 yard body on it with tandems. We are thinking of selling it possibly.

8. Krafty

Krafty LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from St. Louis MO

Jacob, I think I personally would be leary of the big gas motors just because I don't have any experience with them. We have always had the diesels in that size truck. That being said, if they are real popular down there they must work. I would go test drive it see how it does. Make sure you put a load on it and see how she pulls. IMO that is the best option you have up on this page. That truck also looks like with a little elbow grease it will clean up really nice.

9. Krafty

Krafty LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from St. Louis MO

Not sure what your budget is, but I just went back and looked at these hook trucks Sean posted. The last link is a 2000 model international with super low miles and comes with 2 containers. It looks like it might be worth a look.

10. KrayzKajun

Thanks Krafty
    Posted via Mobile Device