1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Sell large dump trailer for 650/6500 size dump truck??

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by KrayzKajun, Oct 26, 2013.

1. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I like them both. The seond, as Allday said, looks heavy but if you are just moving materials, it looks like it would fit the bill. The other one looks versatile as a flatbed dump especially if you could manufacture sides and a rear doors.
    I'm in the same boat..still looking for a small dump.

2. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I know. I'm in a toss up. The yellow dump is gas engine also.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I'm sitting on the fence about upgrading a Toolcat that I don't use all that much, get a small dump, or or buy some attachment(s). Gotta do it before the end of the year and I don't know what will bring the most revenue. I already have more attachments than I use and some don't get used as often as I thought they would.
    I personally need to make a decision and move on. I just have about short list and pros and cons that are canceling each other out so that's no help. :)

Have you driven both trucks? What did you like the most?

4. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

The flatbed is nice for pallets of sandbags and supersacks. Make two piece sides out of microlams and one for the back, done.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Yup. Wouldn't even mess with the little dump. The only thing you won't be able to carry in that flatbed is heavy soil cause the floors arent usually strong enough. We bent a piston in half on a newer international trying to dump spills. That was a 30k repair lol

You can haul plenty of mulch we dumped that with no problems. Sometimes you can throw a ratchet strap across the top to keep the sides from bowing out. I think I used to put close to 30 yards in ours, but don't quote me on that
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

5 tons of bricks or 5 tons of feathers, how does one bend the piston more than the other?
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. KrayzKajun

I've still got to sell my dump trailer. Had an offer this morning, it was a trade for a bobcat 331 mini x.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. whiffyspark

Mulch doesn't weigh nearly what wet soil does. It had a ton of rock as well. We dug 3 ft holes for 30 b+b trees. He hauled everything back in one trip. I wish I had pictures it was a scissor lift setup too. He literally bent the list I on in half and we had a 2 ft bump in the middle of the bed

They put a dual piston setup on it after that.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. KrayzKajun

I've also thought about selling/trading the dump trailer for 30' dual tandem gooseneck.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. whiffyspark

What does that gain you over the goose neck you have now?
    Posted via Mobile Device