1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sell Me a New Walk-Behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOturkey, Jun 28, 2007.

1. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I"m seriously thinking of purchasing a walk-behind next year. I have a 60 inch Gravely and think one might be a good complement to the larger mower. I haven't serviced all that many small yards, but on the couple I do, I think there are times a walk-behind would be more efficient than the big Z. I also have several accounts that have pretty steep areas, most noteably ditches, and from what I read here, the walk-behind is more efficient on steep slopes. I have a 21, but not self-propelled, as I use it very little. I'm thinking a 21 is a bit too small, and time consuming, hence the desire for a bit bigger deck.

Here is the deal. I've never had the privilege of operating one, so I bring no previous prejudices or preferences to the table. I'm leaning toward a smaller deck, because smaller areas is likely where I'll use it most. Gates are not an issue at this time, and may never be much of one, as gated backyards are not extremely common here, but it might be nice to be able to fit through one, if the situation arises on future accounts.

As for brand, my dealer handles Toro and Gravely mowers, so it would be one of those, if purchasing new. I know some of you would perhaps recommend the Quick line of mowers, but I'm really not interested in purchasing anything that doesn't have local dealer support. Other than that, I'm wide open to suggestions regarding engine size, drive system, controls, etc.

If I purchase one, I don't anticipate putting lots of hours on it, so I will likely have it for many years, therefore I want to make the right choice the first time.

Okay, so convince me which configuration of drive sytem and controls, in which brand would be my best choice. Thanks.
  2. kjslawn

kjslawn LawnSite Senior Member

Toro makes a great walk behind I perfer the floating deck on 48" or higher
  3. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

Check the prices on both models from both brands and post your findings. More people should give Gravely a try.
  4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, you need to compare both the Toro and the Gravely for yourself then.

Myself, I think a 48" is a handy size... available in both... and so is a 52".

Going down from that, Toro has that newer 40" which is still a triple blade deck.
  5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Thinking the same,,,, But in a 36"

Looking at the quick 36, but wondering about parts
  6. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

What size are the blades Envy ?
  7. MOturkey

Okay, let's try this again. My whole idea in starting this thread is for you guys to tell me what YOU think is better regarding controls, deck, and transmission. I know absolutely nothing about walk-behinds, so comparing them will mean little to me, because whatever I looked at, or demoed, would still be unfamiliar to me.

Also, although I could run to Springfield, and check out some at the dealer's there, my local dealer doesn't stock ANY walk-behinds, and hasn't in the 4 years I've been dealing with him. That shows you how popular they are in this immediate area.

Anyway, any input would be most appreciated, and I'm still leaning toward a smaller deck. Thanks
  8. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Controls - Toro's T2 T-bar system looks hot. I am not sure what the Gravely uses for controls but if it's pistol grips, run forrest run.

Deck - No brainer, get a floating deck. Height changes take seconds and are done by hand with no tools. Resists scalping better as well. Toro's Turbo Force deck seems to be a great cutting system from what others have said here.

Transmission - my personal choice is dual hydro over belt drive. Way more productive.

As for size, I think if you've got a 60" Z, a 48" WB would compliment it nicely. IMO there is no replacement for a walk behind on steep terrain. A Z can be just too dangerous, and a WB will handle some real steep slopes.
  9. kjslawn

kjslawn LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a big fan of the hydro units the gear thing was not for me although its cheaper to fix a belt or gear drive. I like the good o'l trusty pistol grips also the new loop style is just funcky to do while standing. As far as the deck gos I would buy a floating deck being new on a machine this will help with scalping. Make sure parts are easy to get. demo demo demo
  10. MOturkey

Thanks, guys. Now this is what I was looking for.

Anyone else?