Sell me a Quick 44!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimmyStew, Mar 8, 2008.

1. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

I need a commercial walk-behind mower. Last year I bought a JD X300 rider but I'm just not happy with the quality of the cut and I can't/won't pay $10k for a ztr. I just don't do the quantity of lawns that would be required to spend that money. So in my quest for the perfect mower I visited my local JD dealer and talked to them about a 7H17 mower. 48" cut, hydro drive, 7-Iron II deck and a price tag of just under $6k after taxes. Ouch, but if its worth it, I could see myself spending the green, sell the X300 and be done with it. But....

I'm looking at Better Outdoor Products and their line of Quick mowers. Seems there is a lot of good reviews from users here. I've looked over the literature on their website and they seem like good quality mowers (and made in the U.S.A. :usflag:). I especially like the price. At under $3 grand for the 44" models, I could keep the X300 in case I come across a BIG lawn where a walk-behind would be too inefficient. Now I have a few questions...

First, how does the cut quality compare to other mowers, other comm. walk-behinds AND to a "commercial" rider like the X300?

How easy is it to navigate? (the only walk-behind I have used was a gear drive and it was definitely cumbersome)

I know they sell a sulky that can be used but is it convenient/efficient. Will a 17hp engine run a 44" mower deck and drag my sorry butt around behind it?

How well does it mulch. BOP sells a mulching kit, but does it work? I have tried mulching kits for both the JD walk-behind and the X300 and neither worked very well. I've also heard others complain that they don't work well on other mowers as well. How about aftermarket products?

Lastly, is there a noticable difference between the Ninja 44 and Samari 44? According to the website 1hp, hourmeter and electric start?

Any other comments are welcomed!
  2. fastcat

fastcat LawnSite Senior Member

check out the bobcat fastcat 42" that is what i traded my x300 in on and i love the machine.

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

I would go with the 44 SAM...The price and cut quality are unmatched. These are serious machines at a great price and backed up by a great company. Do a search on here for BOP or Quick 36 or 32 and check the will find a TON of positive feedback....Call then and ask them your questions....See for yourself what kind of a company your dealing with.
  4. bryant lawn & landscape

bryant lawn & landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a 44" Sammy for sale if you're still interested. It only has 8 hrs. -Still has that new mower smell! Anyway, this year we're picking up alot more high-end residentials with really small lawn areas that require the 21" mowers. Turns out our Quick 36 will be the only "big mower" we need. I've got 2 sets of blades, and the accelerator bagger for it. PM me if you're interested.
  5. caddman27

caddman27 LawnSite Member

I have the 44 and am happy with it. I have the Sulky and weigh 250 and it pulls me around just fine. The quality of cut is great and customers seem to be real happy. I do not use the mulcher. I have a couple people that insist on bagging so I dont want to have to take it on and off
  6. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

i don't have one but i have only heard good things about them on here.
  7. Yerkz

Yerkz LawnSite Member

Just picked my 44 samurai up from the Roadway terminal this morning. Can't wait to get off work to release the hounds! We had to uncrate it at the dock so we could chain it and lower onto the back of my trailor. Machine looks extremely solid. 44' cut with 3 blades should get the job done. Also got step saver and grass catcher. If the rain holds out I will let you know how it cuts latter tonight.
  8. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

We use the Quick 36's, but I would have a 44 yesterday if I didn't have all those darn gates to go through.

Like Buckeye says...any questions call em' up. You'll get nothing but great people.
  9. Yater

Yater LawnSite Senior Member

I was a little concerned about the mulching capability of the quick 36 but mine has been great. I have the mulch plate and use it most of the time and the cut is perfect. I only had trouble in one wet section of tall grass. I had some clumping in the deck and had to double mow that section. They are a killer deal for sure. I've thought about ordering a 44 in the future....I wish they made a quick 52"
  10. S.I.

S.I. LawnSite Senior Member
    from west

I've been looking for a 36", but I have too many situations where I have to make deck height adjustments. I don't want something that is cumbersome, or requires more than about 30 seconds to adjust, but I also don't want to drop $6k on a 36". How easy/hard is it to adjust the height on the Quick?