Sell me on a good hybrid work shoe/boot

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Feb 5, 2013.

1. hi_speedreed

hi_speedreed LawnSite Senior Member

Reread the OP's post, specifically the first sentence.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Those Keen's look real nice. In fact I went on the Keen website and they appear to make some NICE work shoes that would hold up. I may be going this route.

3. ashgrove landscaping

ashgrove landscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Any light hiking shoe with gore tex is the best mowing shoe. They're light supportive, good traction, durable and comfortable. Also look good. I've been getting the Merrill refuge pro with gore tex for the past 5 years. The best I've found so far in my 14 years in this business.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son LawnSite Silver Member

great call ashgrove! I have been wearing the Timberland Pro Mid Sole (basically a light hiking shoe on steroids) Have also had Merrills and love em! Are you upstate upstate? or upstate midstate? See, I am pretty close to Plattsburgh and that is as upstate as you get! hahah... Just wondering where you are and if our markets were similar

5. ashgrove landscaping

ashgrove landscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Nice! You're a couple hours north. I'm right on the vermont border next to arlington,VT in cambridge/shushan,NY. Very small town rural market. Dairy/vegetable farm world.

6. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I wear ASOLOs. Only shoe I can get a season out of. One reason I wear them is that they fit my girlish narrow and flat foot.

Keen is a good brand also.

I'd try to find a hiking store either locally or a chain such as REI. Every maker fits differently than the other.

7. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Valk that Red Wing is also a nice looking kicker.

9. hi_speedreed

hi_speedreed LawnSite Senior Member

DA, I figure this is gonna be like all the mower threads about asking people what's the best. I don't know what kind of feet you have. I imagine most Keen wearers are like me and have wider feet and enjoy the wider toe box provided by that manufacturer. Merrells are a good shoe but they do not work for me. They just don't fit my foot right. They may be perfect for you though. That Vasque looks like a good shoe. I checked out the ASOLO shoe and it looks narrow just like White Gardens said.

I would definitely agree with the assessment that you can't go wrong with a lightweight, waterproof hiking shoe no matter what the brand as long as it fits your foot correctly.

10. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

VERY recently, Vasque updated their Breeze model (Breeze 2.0). The above Redwing model that I provided the link to has further upgraded the sole to a type used on a Vasque backpacking boot. Both are Vibram. Yes, I'd say they're a handsome boot! Will guess them ~$160+ though...perhaps a bit more.

I'm still finding the Vasque Breeze GTX's for ~$110-120 these days when ordering online. I've not yet tried the retooled Breeze 2.0.

I wholeheartedly agree with hi_speedreed...it's ALL about comfort AND quality. There is no generic shoe will fit everyone. Being pain~free at the end of the day AND the next morning is a true blessing.