Sell me on a good hybrid work shoe/boot

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Feb 5, 2013.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Took me years to find a shoe that would not only hold up to the abuse but also be comfortable on my feet.

Redwings, Wolverines, Vasque, Keen and such were just way too wide. Even in a narrow fit I couldn't get the shoe tight enough to keep my foot from swimming in it.

2. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

I feel you. Everything on my is wide except my feet and hands. I can usually get away with a regular width if I wear boot socks but that gets hot in the summer.

3. hi_speedreed

hi_speedreed LawnSite Senior Member

I feel you. Shoes are not one size fits all. I can't wear any major name Tennis/Running shoe. I have even tried the wide versions and I just bust them out. I have the opposite problem of you. Your foot swims in most shoes and my foot feels like a sardine. Because of this I need the fit to be right but I also need it to be well constructed. I used to get ingrown toenails and since I found Keen a few years ago they went away and my feet look much healthier and feel loads better at the end of the day. The worst thing for anyone is spending all day in a poor fitting shoe. It's not only hard on the feet but also the knees and back. A good pair of shoes is hard to find but a dream when you do.

4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

So probably not in my best interest to buy online? Where are the best places to go to check out these hybrid work boots/shoes and try on a few pair?
    Someone mentioned REI. Gander Mtn? Cabellas? Are they even going to carry the steel toed versions? I have rolled over my feet with my mower wheels enough to know that steel/hard toe is important to me.

5. hi_speedreed

Stores that sell Keen

O & B SHOES
    1300 SALEM RD SW
    ROCHESTER, MN 55902
    United States
    4 Miles

ERIK'S BIKE SHOP
    3851 MARKETPLACE DR NW
    ROCHESTER, MN 55901
    United States
    5 Miles

GANDER MOUNTAIN #366
    1201 SOUTH BROADWAY
    ROCHESTER, MN 55904
    United States
    5 Miles

ROGAN'S SHOES #20
    3446 NW 55TH ST
    ROCHESTER, MN 55901
    United States
    507-285-5577
    5 Miles

GANDER MOUNTAIN #367
    3470 55TH ST NW
    ROCHESTER, MN 55901
    United States
    5 Miles

TRADEHOME SHOES-ROCHESTER
    312 APACHE MALL
    ROCHESTER, MN 55902
    United States
    6 Miles

DICKS SPORTING GOODS #378
    4603 MAINE AVE SE STE A2
    ROCHESTER, MN 55904
    United States
    8 Miles

Stores that sell Vasque

TYROL SKI & SPORTS
    1923 2ND STR SW
    ROCHESTER MN 55902
    507-288-1683
    3.61 Miles

RED WING SHOE STORE
    3407 - 22ND AVE NW
    ROCHESTER MN 55901
    507-280-7901
    6.09 Miles

GANDER MOUNTAIN #367
    3470 55TH ST NW
    ROCHESTER MN 55901
    507-252-2033
    7.35 Miles

I could not get the store finder function to work on the Asolo site.

6. hi_speedreed

My local Cabelas has a large selection of Keen both the hiker and the work boot. I believe if you input your local store, the Cabelas site has the function of checking in store stock.

7. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

DA, if you're interested in the Redwings, I think you'll need to hit a Redwing retail store to try them on. They can professionally measure your foot there as well. I recommend it so you'll be more in the know. THEN, you can order online. Amazon has them...perhaps others do as well.

I discovered Vasque by doing the above. I first bought a fine pair of Redwings' work boots. They ended up not having adequate traction for slopes and irregularities. So I went back and tried on the Vasque Goretex hikers. Magic! Have since tried a few other brands like Garmont, OBOZ, Dunham...but for one reason or another they've not lived up. I'm not a safety toe guy due to not wanting the added weight all day long.

Here is a soft toe Redwing from Amazon, fwiw:

http://www.amazon.com/Mens-Red-Wing-Hiker-Boot/dp/B009GMUITG/ref=sr_1_18?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1360258834&sr=1-18

Vasque Breeze GTX:

http://www.amazon.com/Vasque-Breeze-Waterproof-Hiking-Gunmetal/dp/B002NPCQPC/ref=sr_1_1?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1360259357&sr=1-1&keywords=vasque+hiking+boots

8. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

9. BckYrdLmbrJk

BckYrdLmbrJk LawnSite Member

KEEN!

I'm surprised and excited to see all the Keen support. I've been wearing mostly Keen for years. I used to do tons of hiking, camping, and backpacking and got to be a huge fan of these shoes. I went through tons of different pairs of workboots when I started out, you name it, I wore them out. Keen makes an incredible product!

Very durable and comfortable! All I use now with the exception of some heavy duty Columbias I alternate back and forth with my Keens for snow removal (leave one by the fire to dry, or in the passenger seat of my truck for if my feet get wet) and I've got some tall Georgia Boots from Tractor Supply for doing real dirty work such as a lot of digging, muddy ****.

10. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Are most of the Keen work type shoes waterproof?

I plan on trying some on as we will be near both a Cabellas and Gander Mtn tomorrow:)