Sell me on buying a stick edger

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Busa_bill, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Busa_bill

Busa_bill LawnSite Member

Other than being the right tool to establish an edge on an un-manicured lawn, what are the real benefits of a stick edger?
    Is it faster than a string trimmer, or does it leave a better finish?
    Would it be the better tool for the less experienced yard help to use when assigned the trimming chores?

Thanks,
    Bill

2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

we use a w/b edger to establish an edge and then use the trimmer to keep it up. aslong as you keep up on it, the trimmer does a fine job IMO. But if someone is'nt that good at it, they can rip up the grass while trying to edge (trimmer). thats where a stick edger would come in handy. just my .02

3. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

I get by with a wheeled edger, and touch it up with my string trimmer. It takes me a little longer, but I only paid $20 for it at a garage sale vs. $300+ for a new stick edger.

4. thecompletehome

thecompletehome LawnSite Member

Stick edgers are great for maintaining edges. They make a sizable difference in quality and efficiency over a string trimmer. However, if you are doing a property that has not been edged in a while, good luck. They struggle mightily on the initial edge.

5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Its better than string for establishing an edge.....and sometimes better for maintaining an edge.....I have one and think it has its place in the business....sometimes string will maintain the edge fine but its times during the season that a blade is still needed to get it back in line

wayne

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Oh and I forgot.... I use Stihl brand and switch out the attachments so I dont have alot of extra money sitting in one tool that doesnt get used as much

wayne

7. Busa_bill

My concern was that it's a one dimensional tool that won't get used that often. Had also thought about the hand tool mentioned above for establishing an edge.

All I had was a string trimmer back in the day and I was good at it. Sucked though when trying to establish an edge on an overgrown lawn. If the stick edger will make the difference between a good edge and a crooked edge when I have to use casual help I'll go get one.

8. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

why not look into one of those combo trimmers. Then you have an extra trimmer when needed, but you also have your edger. Then you can attach the hedge trimmer head to it and you have an extension hedge trimmer, or brush cutter. We have a Stihl kombi system, and a echo attachment series, both are easy to change heads, only takes a 1 minute to do.

9. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

A lot of commercial, and home owner associations specify that an edger must be used. Rather than haul a walk behind edger, a stick edger is used.

10. Busa_bill

I had it in my head that the convertible equipment was somehow less durable. Is there any sacrifice in quality between dedicated model ends and the interchangeable attachments? Transmission cable issues etc?

Thanks