sELLING A LAWN 2 CUSTOMER/lowballing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smarino21, Mar 28, 2006.

1. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

i will admit last yr i kinda was a little bit of a low baller at least by the advertisment. I wasnt terrible but a few bucks too low. I now relized and definetly know where i have to be but this year i didnt put any price because i dont wnat the price shoppers to call and try to get me to cut a 35$ lot at $20. Now i really was never a great sales person (im 18) sometimes people look at me like a kid. One other quick thing i was wondering i have a nice new dodge ram silver but no letters. I have a 250 ford 99' and it is all clean and lettered. I was wondering if it is better to go in the ford or dodge.I also was wondering what are good points to sell people on???

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Trucks don't mean anything, What can you offer at 18 that they can't get from a more established biz? Price! and thats all you have to offer at this point.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

My service sells itself, all I do is look at stuff to do, name my price, and thank you.

What I do is advertise so I get enough calls and that settles it, never a problem.

Some other things have helped is preventing myself from getting into the situation where I know I might be tempted to low-ball.

So, what to go give the estimate in? I take my personal car but not for impression's sake, but because I'm in no mood to take a 12 mpg rig out to go price something, then be tempted into low-balling because they're willing to pay if I can do it RIGHT now (translation: so long I can do it for cheap, since I'm already there blablabla)...

What else has helped and this may or may not work for you, but I've learned to assume the answer will always be NO, and this gives me the attitude of 'I got nothing left to lose, so price whatever!' For the first year or so I always thought I had to get them to say yes (of course, in order to do so, the price dropped)... One day I realized this is not important and that I no longer cared if they said no: That's when I was finally able to bid, literally, whatever... It's not to say you should go apecrazy on prices, but I'm going to get paid what I think I should get, take it or leave it. Once I assumed the default answer was no anyhow, I found I cared less.

Reduce your cost. While you raise your prices, you should be doing everything you can to find supplies and parts for yourself cheaper. This will help absorb some of the effects of low-balling as it can not be prevented 100% all the time, it also helps keep your prices as low as possible. While you're at it, reduce your own cost of living so you can stand another year without a raise.

Last but not least, learn how to get more work done in less time.

4. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

thanks a lot your a big help

5. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

considering all that is involved. Some people will work for fish heads and rice (hint, hint) or some will for mixed up masa (hint, hint)...I finally realized my costs and it ain't masa or fish heads, but thousands in other costs...

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

WTF --thought you had no cost :dizzy: :dizzy: