1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

selling accounts

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by burchfieldf, Jan 17, 2005.

1. burchfieldf

burchfieldf LawnSite Member

Does anyone have a "rule of thumb" for selling residental or commercial accounts. Thanks in advance for any replies.
  2. mickman

mickman LawnSite Member

I have bought out 3 lco's and I wouldn't pay more than 1-2 months income of contracts. If theres equipment to buy, compare used to new. Do a search on this topic
  3. burchfieldf

burchfieldf LawnSite Member

Thanks Mickman, This gives me a good place to start.
  4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Also unless you have them on Current Contracts that are transferable they are worthless to a buyer.
  5. Simplytrees

Simplytrees LawnSite Member

I don't think you can sell accounts. If you do who ever bought them is an idiot. Why buy when you can take for free with hopefully better quality work and it doesn't have to be an under cut of the others price. If their looking to get out then thats their deal, but don't ever pay for that.....
  6. mickman

mickman LawnSite Member

Well, then I guess I'm an Idiot. So if someone was selling their accounts,
    then you "act" like you were buying them, but really meeting they're clients, getting the prices, & then tell the seller, not interested, & then go steal the accounts for yourself. The lco's I bought got me into property's you can hardly get into {who ya know deal} I weed out the sheity ones and pick up more accounts. The lco's I bought didn't offer 1/2 the services my co offers