Selling Add-on Services

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GrassInPA, Aug 28, 2003.

1. GrassInPA

GrassInPA LawnSite Member

Alright guys,

This one is going to have to be a quick one because I have to get to work.

Anyway, I'm just wondering how many add-on services you can sell a person before they start to think you're doing anything you can to get their money.
    As it stands right now, I have one customer that I'm doing bed edging for, putting some new mulch down and I also want to sell her on aeration. For some reason I feel this makes me look greedy somehow.

I'm looking for comments/questions and hopefully some reassurance that there's nothing wrong with what I'm doing.

Gotta go to work now.

Thanks,
    Zach

2. Moguy

Moguy LawnSite Member

It doesnt sound like you are being greedy at all. You have a customer that has needs and you are giving her a service. If you think she needs the aeration then explain to her your thoughts and tell her the benifits of doing this. Never know, she might like how knowledgeable and/or helpful and ask what else you think she needs help with. She may also tell friends and family that you are good at providing needed services.

3. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Your doing mulch, so why not sell her on some spring bulbs?

Your there to provide service. Your business survives on providing service for a profit. This is how you make a living. A salesman never stops selling. Any and all conversation a salesman has with anyone he is trying to sell them something. That can be anything, an idea, a service, a product.

What I do is sell the idea first, work the conversation so that they will next say "I have decided your right, go ahead and do it" Or. If it is something like aerating and you know it is the right thing to do and needs to be done and done so on an annual basis. Then you present it as such. As if why have you not done it before. Make them feel guilty in a small way for not doing it.

This is why 98% of my customers are full and complete service from spring through fall. It is also the only way I do business. I don't offer choices. I am there to provide a service, a service that gets results. I know that everything I do combined is what acheives the best results.

Now should a customer we have for several years request not aerating but do the seeding as always. Fine, I don't care to know their reason. Next year we are aerating again anyway and billing them for it. That has only happened on the rare occasion.

If a customer says they need to cut back and ask about removing some applications from the program. I offer them a budgeted monthly payment as the solution. 9 of 10 go with that. And yet the service has not changed. If the situation is bad enough that items need to be removed. Fine, we just explain not to expect the same appearance and that in expectation of increased fall seeding cost, the cost to them will be much higher, and realisticaly the savings at that point is insignificant. So that later translates to no change in the service. Always selling.............

Don't get me wrong. I will remove say a winter fert app, a fungicide app from the program if there is no other way to retain the customer. If we do say, annual plantings for that customer, Then that is the first thing we offer to remove. Usualy they prefer to have the annuals, now if that is the case then I know it's not so much a money issue with them and can generaly sell them on keeping the service package in tact.

4. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Zach,

If your customers are looking to you to help them with their lawn care and you can offer the services they need, then good for you! That's what makes this country great :)

5. mrbenfer

mrbenfer LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Zack

(ABS) Always Be Selling. Ladies and Gentlemen, we are not here to make friends with our customers. We are here for their money and nothing less. As a salesmen your job is to persuade anyone into buying your product.

Take me for example :D I could sale a years subscription of playboy to Colin Powell. <------- Yea right :laugh: