Selling And Delivery Prices For Boulders

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by dozerman21, Oct 31, 2006.

1. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys, I have app. 75-100 boulders that I've been collecting over the last couple of years that I'm thinking of trying to sell. They vary in size, and most of them are Indiana Granite, I guess. The going rate around Indy is $70.00/ton. I don't have a scale to weigh them, so I was wondering if anybody charges by the diameter of the rock? I have some that are smaller, but the best way to describe the size of the majority of the boulders, is I can fit 3 in a full bucket on my compact track loader. The bucket is 7 ft. wide. Do any of you have a method for pricing other than by the ton?

I also need to come up with delivery and placement charges. I was thinking a $75.00 trip fee (within 20 miles) + $100.00 per hour placement charge (1 hr. minium). Do these prices seem about right? I'm pretty sure they're cheaper than some of the bigger retail landscape companies around town are charging.

Thanks for any info!

2. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

We charge $850 for a truck load (12 cubic yards roughly). It's enough to do 120 face feet of boulder wall.

3. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

Is that $850 price just for the boulders and delivery, or does that include placement too? We have a tandem axle dump truck, so I could price them that way too.

Thanks

4. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

$850 is for boulders and delivery. To build 120 face feet of boulder wall, boulders and labor, would be about $2000.

5. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

The price of rocks is directly related to how far they NEED to be shipped in from. If you live far from where rocks are available, they all have to be shipped great distances which costs a lot of money.If you live in an area that has lots of available rocks that can be be delivered from short distances, they are not worth much even if you want to ship them in from a great distance. If you live in a very rocky are where people are constantly digging them up and have no place to put them they are very worthless.

6. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

around here boulders from the quarry are priced at $6 per ton, then its $150 per hour portal to portal.

7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Retail to the customer here is $150 a ton with a 4-ton minimum.
    That includes local delivery ( within a 25 mile radius ) and placement.
    I pay $400.00 a ton my price . About 5 or 6 - 3'x3'x4' boulders make 4 tons
    I am always there to place the boulders and they just help dig deeper or whatever, they don't make the decisions about placement. just put them where you want them, there is more to placing boulders than just sitting them down.
    I am not sure because I don't weigh them.