Selling equipment funny story

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jocko1104, Oct 9, 2003.

1. jocko1104

jocko1104 LawnSite Member

This has now become a source of entertainment for my wife and I as we placed an add in the paper to sell the equipment because of my knee surgery's.

The add clearly states the equipment and price with the exception of a few smaller details, that if important, can be discussed over the phone.

8 calls in 3 days.

Them: I'm calling about the ad

Me: Yes, would you like to meet to view the equipment

Them: Can you tell me more about the equipment. (seems like a reasonable question)

Me: (supply more info - hrs, models #'s, etc.) Why don't you take a look at it and if its what you are looking for then I can meet you this afternoon if you like to view the equipment whats a good time?

Them: Let me get back to you

I just have to laugh because I know that I am professional on the phone and no additional information has been given to dissuade the sale, so why are these people calling me?

If they don't want to see the equipment then what do they want?

Does anyone have some experience with this type of thing that can help?

2. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I have found that Ebay is good place to sell un-needed equipment. I've sold some stuff for more than I had intended to ask for it. People get carried away sometimes when they're bidding and wind up paying more than it's really worth.

3. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya, If youre the seler, makes ya all the happier!!!!!:D

4. TimberlandGrounds

TimberlandGrounds LawnSite Member

Yes, I have recently had the same problem. I am currently selling my ski-doo sled, and people call to get info on it (the basics which are already in the ad), and they say I'll get back to you. Why the heck do they call, are they really interested in buying it?? One of those things I guess.

5. TimberlandGrounds

Yes, I have recently had the same problem. I am currently selling my ski-doo sled, and people call to get info on it (the basics which are already in the ad), and they say I'll get back to you. Why the heck do they call, are they really interested in buying it?? One of those things I guess.

6. TimberlandGrounds

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Timberlandgrounds,

Is that a stutter or a stamper (3x's !!! ) :eek:

I have also noticed the same thing about newspaper ads. I sell all my equipment out front of my house (busy state Highway) but often put an ad in the local paper. Always list everything I can, EXCEPT price. You'll get all kinds of calls just to ask price. Amazing the spectrum of people looking to buy a commercial piece of equipment. The best are the ones that call during the day like 7-8 times, and never leave a message! :angry: You gotta laugh sometimes.

In the future, I'll skip the newspaper ad and try Ebay. Never sold a $4-5K item before though, what is the listing cost of something like this? I like getting top dollar for my very well taken care of equipment, having people bid it higher then what I want for it is great.

Speaking of Ebay...

Sold the standard seat off my Lazer for more than you can get them BRAND NEW at a dealer. Couple guys just got into a bidding war. I'll have to start to go through my basement and see what I can auction off.

8. daferg

daferg LawnSite Member

Jocko

I am in Austin TX and we are expanding, what equipment do you have for sale and what did you do with your accounts? Email me personally and lets see if we can work something out.

daferg@mail.utexas.edu

Thanks

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Most of the time its either "tire kickers" or someone "thinking about" this business. They see equipment and just call. Probably hoping your in quick need of cash and they can get it REAL cheap.

10. jocko1104

jocko1104 LawnSite Member

The ski-doo story is pretty funny. Thats what I'm talking about man. I want to yell throught the phone "WHAT ARE YOU CALLING ME FOR?!"

Oh well, people are funny. I guess its just aprt of the biz.