selling equipment on e-bay

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason Rose, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, i know I have posted a couple times before about my e-bay experiences, like nearly getting scammed... But now I'm on the e-bay bandwagon and trying to sell some stuff I have collecting dust around the shop. Some new, some used, nothing broken! lol. Anyways, I see a lot of posts here form people finding this and that on there and I was wondering just who all actually has purchased lawn equipment off of e-bay? If you have, how big was the item, like a riding machine or walk behind oooorrrr, some silly software program to "start your new mowing service":p

I recently purchased a Exmark Lazer Z Hp from a dealer in Pennsylvania and had it shipped to me here in Kansas, it arrived today in excellent condition. I am happy that I had a good reputable business to buy from, some people are not so lucky.

On another note, as a seller now, i am getting way too many e-mails from people seeing my auctions and want to know how much i would sell for before the end of the auction or offering me "$$$" for it now. I finally snapped tonight and sent the last two individuals nice notes to just bid and wait like everyone else and then went back and revised my listing with a friendly note to: do NOT e-mail me and ask me to sell the item early, it is not fair to the other bidders or me. Thank you.

Am I going to run people off with that, or am I right to get frustrated with people that want to be "first in line"?

2. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I get that all the time, I've found it's real easy to just ignore stupid emails!;)

After all, eBay is an AUCTION site where the HIGHEST BIDDER wins. Some people just don't realize that. I don't think I would bother putting that in the ad though, as I think it makes you, as the seller, come off as being somewhat nasty. Don't take that personally though, it's JMO, and I know your frustration.

3. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Do you do the Buy It Now option? I always set a BIN price for my auctions. THat way if a buyer REALLY wants the item they can pay my price and get it for sure. You can also set the item for a BIN only price.

My problem is the people that email asking for shipping prices. Then you never hear from them again. Do people think shipping is free? I always just charge the actual postal cost, never add any $$ in for handling. Yet people seem to think even paying the actual cost is too much! The mail isn't free!

:D

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

the problem that I have MTD is that I usually charge about $2 extra for shipping because I look at it this way, I package the item, pay for any packing supplies if necessary, and then drive to the post office. I actually had one guy complain because the shipping was only $3.85 but I charged him $5.

But ya just stick to the prices Jason because the auction is a binding contract once they have the winning bid. They can't screw ya.

5. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

I love e-bay. Ive bought and sold many items off it Bought two snow plows, salt spreader, 60" wb Lesco hydro mower, chevy 3/4 ton 4wd diesel & more. Got great deals on them, but u need to know what your looking at and willing to drive to get. I sold guitar amp, car and camper on it too. People bugged me about selling to them early also but I didnt. If you do, they can change there mind or screw you and e-bay wont back you

6. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I have bought and sold many times on eBay. Many times it has been items over $20,000. Usually classic muscle cars ect. I have purchased several mowers and other items and 99% have been flawless transactions. The ones that were bad, were always corrected. Never been scammed yet.

7. Craig Jones

Craig Jones LawnSite Member

I have bought two mowers and a few handheld items on ebay and have been very satisfied. Most of the sellers were very honest and great to deal with. I had to do a lot of driving for the larger items but the price was right. If buying just make sure they have a positive feedback.

8. montaguejh

montaguejh LawnSite Member

Can you post the links to your auctions if they are still running?

9. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a trimmer off ebay and sold a few 21"mowers, a big truck tool box and a # of golf clubs. Never had a bad experience yet. For shipping and handling I just put a set rate. No complaints yet. I just tell people that want me to stop my auction early that I don't do that if there is a bid in. Try using the Buy it Now feature. That should help with the emails. Oh yeah, the bigger stuff I just do local auctions without shipping. They must pickup at apublic location like walmart or something.